In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Elmira wood stove

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by Patricia, Feb 27, 2019.

1. Patricia

Patricia

Hey everyone, new to this thread. We have been having fires and no issues, all of a sudden we can't get the room temp to pass 66°F even though the temp of the stove ( magnetic thermostats) on top reads 275. We have had the room up to 69°F in the pass. It's not even that cold out. Please advise what are we all of a sudden doing wrong? Thanks

M2theB likes this.
  2. papadave

papadave

First off, welcome aboard Patricia .
    Not sure a stove temp of 275 would do much to get my house warm, unless it was 50 out.
    Has there been a change in the firewood being used? Possibly wet wood. Check your flue, as low stove temps and wet wood like that would result in a build up after a bit.

M2theB likes this.
  3. fox9988

fox9988

Likely wood or a clogged chimney, which wet wood will give you ASAP. I’m not familiar with your stove but you’ll need to get it much hotter than 275 (Celsius I assume) that isn’t very hot, 527F. But if you get it any hotter it may result in a chimney fire if the chimney is dirty. A clogged chimney can happen in days under the right/wrong conditions.

M2theB likes this.
  4. papadave

papadave

Sorry, didn't notice you're in Ontario.......celsius?
    Yep.

M2theB and fox9988 like this.
  5. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

Hi Patricia. Welcome aboard. One thing everybody likes is pics. Also it would help gang is -- what type of wood, how has it been split and stacked. Lot of great folks to help ya out.

M2theB likes this.
  6. billb3

billb3

275ºF stove top seems awfully low and is often indicative of the first half of a fire spending to much of the time boiling off moisture in the wood and not making much heat.
    Inspecting the flue would be paramount for a sudden loss of heat-making ability.

papadave likes this.