In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Easy pick up. WARNING pictures of Pine.

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by clemsonfor, Jan 18, 2015.

1. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I heard where a pine had fallen across the road at work. So I went to look. They bucked it up, pretty close to firewood length. So I went by yesterday and loaded their rounds up as well as bucked a few more of the trunk to make a full load.
    IMG_20150113_152311_678.jpg
    Second pic is of the load. Mix of cedar from the edge of the same road and the pine.
    IMG_20150117_160011_419.jpg

Next is the picture of it split about to be stacked in my woodshed. IMG_20150118_171222_487.jpg

savemoney, Gark, Stinny and 25 others like this.
  2. Woodrat1276

Woodrat1276

Pretty good score even better you didn't have to cut it

savemoney and Chvymn99 like this.
  3. Woodchuck

Woodchuck

Nice score....I can almost smell the cedar from here!
    I have NEVER burned a single piece of pine. Everyone said "It will only creosote your chimney", but I see that a lot of folks do.
    When seasoned I guess you could burn about anything. Maybe I'll try a little for fatwood or quick light fire

4. billb3

billb3

looks like you got nice sized cedar (thuga)too

5. StihlHead

StihlHead

Amazing the bad wrap that pine still has, even here. Y'all do not want that evil pine, send it my way. Except for white pine, I'll be happy to burn it. Splits easy, dies fast, burns hot.

savemoney, HDRock, Chvymn99 and 3 others like this.
  6. concretegrazer

concretegrazer

Nice find!:yes:

7. prell 73

prell 73

Cool score.

8. Loon

Loon

That truck of your's sure takes a chit kicking clem.:hair: Nice scoop man! :yes:

9. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Nice job Clem!

clemsonfor likes this.
  10. badbob

badbob

As far as pine,about 1/3 of the country uses it everyday.Don't believe everything you see on the net!

11. NH_Wood

NH_Wood

Nice - would have grabbed that for sure! I hoard a lot of pine because no one wants to burn it here - except outside. Burned pine right into November this year - nice and hot burns, but won't heat you out of the house in milder temps - good on you! Cheers!

Chvymn99 likes this.
  12. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

It will burn fine as long as its dry. And it dries fast!!

I dont go out of my way or usually even try to cut much of it cause its heavy as oak when green or close. And takes as much effort to get and split it as oak and i seem to get half the heat out of it. Only good thing is it dries quick and others dont touch it.

Many parts of the country only burn soft woods. I will probably cut another whole tree this year for next season shoulder wood and hot quick fires.

I use plenty of lighter wood, fatwood, fat lighter or whatever you want to call it to start fires. I pick it up in the sand hills from old long leaf.

HDRock and Fanatical1 like this.
  13. redneckdan

redneckdan

Even here everyone seems to believe pine will cause a chimney fire, seasoned or not.

clemsonfor likes this.
  14. badbob

badbob

Well if it was not for lodgepole a whole lot of the country would be cold right now!

clemsonfor likes this.
  15. redneckdan

redneckdan

Yup. Pine is most of what I burn. A tornado went through a pine plantation last summer. None of the loggers wanted to touch it so I got the okay to go snag some.

16. Paula

Paula

It needs to be seasoned properly. Same as all woods. There is nothing wrong with pine when treated correctly. Hot fast burn, brilliant for getting the stove up to temp. An ecellent shoulder wood, easy to gather and can fire up an awkward log that is dropping the stove temp.

Ok, its not slow steady burner, but it has its place. Scandinavia for example, only have this wood in abundance and they've been doing pretty fine for many many years.
    Some should count themselves lucky to have a lot of choice in their pickings, others are not so.

As always, its about being a conscientious woodburner to your own requirements and the necessity it imposes.

All wood has its good BTUs in some way however you may measure it. As long as its dealt with and burnt properly it does just fine.

I'll shut up now :)

Fanatical1, HDRock, Evanrude and 4 others like this.
  17. yooperdave

yooperdave

Hey Clem-your wood stove doesn't care what you feed it and that is for sure a nice load. As far as I'm concerned, no warnings, apologies or explanations needed!
    But, I sure would like to have some of the red cedar I see in those pics. We have white cedar around here and it is nowhere as striking as the red! Can see some benches, table tops, shelves, etc.....

18. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yea. Hurts my feelings every time I cut one up for firewood. I usually use them for posts as its fairly rot resistant. This one was about 14-16" diameter at the but. Was a really pretty one and had about 10 feet that was pretty clear of branches.

I dont go looking for cedar to cut either. But an up rotted tree literally on the top od ditch bank of the road. It got cut up and loaded. :)

HDRock, Chvymn99 and papadave like this.
  19. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

How about this pic. I didnt drive anywhere but from the pile to the ahead in my yard but here is a good pic. IMG_20150118_144737_800.jpg

savemoney, HDRock, basod and 3 others like this.
  20. Gasifier

Gasifier

Nice snag for bonfire wood clemsonfor. But you can't burn that stuff. You will end up like this if you do!
    upload_2015-1-18_21-27-23.jpeg Don't do it man!:faint: