In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★☆☆ Earthquake W1200 5 Ton electric splitter

Discussion in 'Wood Splitters' started by bushpilot, Jun 18, 2016.

1. bushpilot

bushpilot

I picked this splitter up a couple of years ago for just over $200. It has worked reliably and is easily worth what I paid for it. I see them for upwards of $300, and would not pay that much for it, but instead would save to a "grown-up" gas powered unit.

This little splitter will split just about anything I can set on it. It is not speedy, but it does the job. I have not timed the cycle, but would guess somewhere around 12-15 seconds, round trip. For difficult rounds, it is faster than I am, by a significant margin. For 1-2 whack rounds, the Fiskars is faster.

Pros:
    - Inexpensive (at $200)
    - Reliable
    - Quiet
    - Lightweight
    - Could be used indoors

Cons:
    - Must be by electrical outlet.
    - Lack of a wood tray
    - Slow
    - Wheels are way too small, it will tip when rolling off-pavement
    - Very low, it will certainly give most people a backache. ( I typically set it on my tailgate to use it, but might build a stand.)

Summary - for the right price, it is a good splitter for lightweight needs. Not worth paying full price, and might have difficulty with some woods.

Kyle Mulligan and Jon1270 like this.
  2. bushpilot

bushpilot

Btw, I should have probably given it 3 stars, rather than 2. I flip-flopped between the two.

3. MasterMech

MasterMech The Mechanical Moderator

Now she's a three-star. :yes:

Oakman69 and bushpilot like this.
  4. Jon1270

Jon1270

I wish there was more straightforward transparency about the mechanical differences in electric splitters. So many of them appear to have virtually identical guts despite a large range of prices and tonnage claims.

5. MrWhoopee

MrWhoopee

I have (and LOVE) the Homelite branded version of this splitter. I initially believed that they were all made by the same manufacturer. That may be true, but after spending some time studying other Chinese made products, I realized that, because of their well-known disregard for patents, multiple manufacturers can be making products that appear nearly identical and may even be marketed using similar product numbers.

As for the tonnage, Harbor Freight has discontinued the 7-ton model and now sells only a 5-ton unit. That unit, because of it's 2-stage operation, was the only one I am aware of that had a legitimate claim to more than the nominal 5-ton rating of the others. I don't believe there are any significant mechanical differences among the rest, though there may be variations in quality.

In the 8+ years I've had my Homelite, I've had no problems. It just keeps working. I burn 3-5 cords/year. I just purchased replacement wear pads for the ram. I agree with the complaints about the lack of a table and the height. That's why I built a stand.

These splitters are not for tough or stringy wood. As long as you understand their limitations, they are an excellent tool. Even at $300, they are well worth the money.
    Homelite 5-Ton Electric Log Splitter-UT49103 - The Home Depot

If/when mine finally fails, I will buy another.

Last edited: Mar 23, 2017
    Snowfam, Thor, milleo and 1 other person like this.
  6. Jon1270

Jon1270

I picked up one of the old DR 7-ton, 2-stage units secondhand a few months ago, from a guy on AS. It's much nicer than my previous electric (nominal tonnage unknown), but it's hard to say how much of the difference is in the motor, pump, cylinder, etc. and how much is thanks to the more rigid frame. The log tray and single-handed operation are really nice, too. My last splitter was so lightly built that it would bend its beam into an arch if it hit too much resistance.

7. bushpilot

bushpilot

I will be dragging mine out again within a couple of weeks. It still is my only powered splitter.