In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Dupuytren's Contracture

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by thewoodlands, Aug 26, 2020.

1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I've been dealing with it for years and on Jan.28 2019 we went to see a orthopedic surgeon in our area, he recommended shots of XiaFlex in the affected area on my left hand and then everything shutdown.

Once our insurance approved everything the appointment was made, on August the 12 I had the shots of XiaFlex and we returned August 15 on Saturday for what they call the release. They numb the same area the first shots went and wait 10 minutes and then place your hand palm down on the table and press down, huge pop happened but never any pain. My small finger on my left hand was pulling down it down into the palm.

Today was my second session with PT, they gave me the go ahead to work with any weight I want. After my first session I was limited at what they would let me do but all the hand exercises they gave me did the trick.

The first two pictures was what I was dealing with, I had a big lump at the base of my small finger that was causing the skin to tear, the last two pictures are after the release.

Attached Files:

2. Chaz

Chaz

Yeah, that looks like it had to be painful.. as well as a PITA.

Glad you could get it taken care if, and I hope the hand exercises continue to improve things

3. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

On Monday she tested both hands, my good hand measure 110 and my bad hand measured 80, today the good hand measured 110 and the bad hand 95 so hopefully by my next appointment I'm closer to the 110 with my bad hand.

The timing worked out pretty good, instead of having it done in the spring I was able to cut 12 face cord and do some painting, with fall just around the corner, I should get another 12 face cord up.

I didn't want it done in the winter with all the possible plowing and putting in wood that we do.

4. Chaz

Chaz

That is very good progress
    :thumbs:

5. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

She (P.T.) was happy with the progress I made from Monday until today. The ice pack on it four times per day for five minutes per really helped out with swelling.

I still have a few tender areas but nothing real bad, I have some anti vibe gloves coming in but I hate wearing gloves when running the chainsaw.

6. Chaz

Chaz

I've no issue with wearing my gloves when cutting. I wore out my good pair of anti-vibe gloves, need to order another couple pair.

I have issues with my thumb on my right hand. From the base to the wrist it gets bad, and I lose grip. The VA ruled out carpal tunnel, and that it likely relates to the pinched nerves in my neck. Entire right arm goes tingly and loses strength.

I'm almost constantly craning my neck to the left to relieve pressure. Chiropractor helps a fair bit, but surgery is practically inevitable.
    :doh:

7. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

I hope you heal up quick and get full use of your hand. That’s awesome that you got it fixed, lots of folks let things go because they are scared to get them fixed. Good luck sir! :handshake:

8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Soon back to cutting!

9. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Thanks Jack Straw , it can come back but it's nice that I have full mobility of that finger again. I still do exercises four times a day along with the ice pack after I exercise it.

They want me to wear a splint at night which will end in February, it's not bad at all and it will help that area more according to them. I was worried about the release when they popped that area, that whole area could've torn and then you have emergency surgery but that didn't happen.

Originally they said it would be the end of September before I could use that hand on anything heavy.

10. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I hope so, I never did get my face cord of Ironwood this summer.

11. Backwoods Savage

When you get around to cutting it, I have a couple that need to come down... :D

12. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I heard Judy was baking some Chocolate Chip Cookies so if that is true, I might come out for a few CCC with a glass of milk.

I think if we team up Dennis, we can take her! :whistle:

13. Backwoods Savage

Judy says fat chance. She's making bean soup instead.

14. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

That sounds great.

15. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Even though it sounds great, you'll need two dozen of the below cookie, it will help you recover.
    [​IMG]
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Aug 27, 2020
  16. Backwoods Savage

She's just shaking her head.

17. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

18. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

After running the 028 today on four American Hophornbeam, the hand doesn't feel bad at all. There still are a couple of tender spots but other than that things feel good.

I hadn't used the Rhino in a while but it ran fine and love the chips on the front from the last American Hophornbeam.

19. Chaz

Chaz

:yes:

Great to hear.
    :cool:

20. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

:eek:
    I am putting 5 to 1 odds on Judy!:yes: