In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Dryness from burning pellet and wood stoves

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by ttdberg, Nov 25, 2017.

1. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Anyone who has burned wood and/or pellet stoves for some time has dealt with the dry air in the house that comes with it. It can get downright uncomfortable. Hands and face get so dry, they start to crack, sometimes hands even bleed, etc. Just wanted to see what folks have done to deal with it, especially if they have found solutions that they are extremely happy with.

We have humidifiers and steamers (cast iron pot on top of the stove that produces vapor). We used to have an old console style humidifier that would hold about 15 gallons of water. It was very old and had to be retired from service. Now we have two smaller table top humidifiers, one that holds 3 gallons in the living room and one that holds just under a gallon in the bedroom. They get re-filled / topped off every day. None of these have ever done an excellent job of combating the dry air.

One thing that did help a lot was a product called working hands. It was recommended to be by a co-worker. It's hand cream and probably one of the best products I've tried. Really the only one that works more than a couple hours or overnight.

Stinny, gbreda, ivanhoe and 7 others like this.
  2. brokenwing

brokenwing

I will be interested in the comments on this! With out to much detail when the stove is running I get a bloody nose from the dry air at times. I just ordered a humidifier for downstairs and upstairs, hoping it would help! If not I will have to go back to the drawing board, and try something else!

3. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

tt, Do you have a way to check your humidity level?

4. Rich250

Rich250

My stove has a humidifier built in and never used it. I guess we are lucky and never experienced that dryness.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2017
  5. PelletHound

PelletHound

I monitor the humidity in my house and when it gets below 25% I run a humidifier.It helps a little but what really helped was having my house air sealed.It really made a huge difference in how much moisture is retained.The utility company's offer a subsidized plan of air sealing,insulation,and energy efficient light bulbs.They did a ton of work that cost me about $1200.It really has made a big difference.

ivanhoe, IHATEPROPANE, 343amc and 4 others like this.
  6. bushpilot

bushpilot

Put an Outside Air Kit on it, the drying is caused by the dry air infiltration caused by the stove draw. An OAK should solve or really help with that.

7. dotman17

dotman17

My wife's mother commented on the humidity thing. She slept out by the wood stove the other night and said it was dry. Then I see this post. Come to think of it -- my sinuses haven't been dripping in awhile... :D

8. nailed_nailer

nailed_nailer

In the winter I don't run the bathroom venting fan when showering. Allowing the warm moist air to circulate into the house.

Also I tried for a while to allow my dryer venting to exhaust into the room (vs. outside) to re-claim the heated moist air. You basically put a ladies nylon sock over the end of the dryer vent and allow it to vent to room. This works well however keep an eye on the sock for too much lint buildup and "Blow off" it can make a mess in your laundry room (DAMHIKT). I don't bother with this anymore as I learned to live with the dryness and the dog doesn't complain much.

For cracked hands I use O'Keeffe's Working Hands. I'm a mailman, so I handle paper all day. This stuff works.
    ---Nailer---

Russell, gbreda, ivanhoe and 5 others like this.
  9. Warner

Warner

We do the big stock pot of water on top of the basement wood stove. I really don’t notice the dryness as much.
    At the 20x20 cabin there is a stove that is too large for the space and some times I feel like a piece of beef jerky at the end of a visit!

10. bogieb

bogieb

Let me start off that I like it drier than most people probably think is comfortable; 20-25% is perfect for me. I do use moisturizer on my hands all year long - argan oil does the trick for me (most hand creams put in stuff I can't abide). In the deep of winter I will do the following:
    • Place a big pot of water on top of the P43.
    • Run a 1.5 gallon room humidifier in the living room
    • Not run the bathroom fan for showers
    • Plug up the sink when running the dishwasher (it is portable and hooks up to the sink faucet)

ivanhoe, BHags, CleanFire and 3 others like this.
  11. imacman

imacman

Made by Emerson, sold by Sears, Wally World, and maybe Lowes??....holds about 5.5 Gal. Works well...About $115 at WW:

https://tinyurl.com/y8ja24sx
    Console humidifier.jpg

Last edited: Nov 26, 2017
    gbreda, ivanhoe, CleanFire and 3 others like this.
  12. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I have dry skin and much prefer its in the mid 30'5 range. Also feels warmer in the shack with a higher humidity level. I feel colder if the level drops in the back area's of the house.

I swear by Dove body wash. Keeps my skin hydrated without the greasy feel others leave. Plus the wifey says I smell sexy(gag-ralph smiley here!!). :rolleyes: I'll try tt's working hands lotion. The soap I use on my hands being a wrench dries the crap out of them. We have a lotion at work. But it feels like you stuck your hands in a bucket of slim............

ivanhoe, wildwest, CleanFire and 2 others like this.
  13. imacman

imacman

Have you tried this? Works to keep the skin moist besides clean.

14. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

I'll have to try that Pete, But usually get greasy way before I remember to lube up. :doh:

15. imacman

imacman

Sit it right in front of you on your desk or work table when you leave each day. But then again, you have to remember to do THAT. :headbang:

:rofl: :lol:

ivanhoe, will711, wildwest and 3 others like this.
  16. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

:emb: CRS s*cks............... :confused:

17. badbob

badbob

I rarely have it too dry,even in this state,because I have a dirt floor basemen,gets damp even with a little runoff.I usually run a dehumidifier down there all winter.But,if gets below 25,I still have one bottle of lotion,from when was a mechanic,it is from Brody chemical,called reconditioning cream,awesome stuff.

Luneyburg, ivanhoe, wildwest and 5 others like this.
  18. badbob

badbob

WildWest should be here,is always too dry for her!!:D

19. bogieb

bogieb

That is another reason I like argan oil - it soaks right in so isn't greasy or feel slimey.

I'll agree that it feels warmer with higher humidity but winter is the only time I can get rid of my acne with the air being dry. Heck, sweating gives me acne (pretty sad for someone who is well past the stage of having any hormones at all). I remember grandpa had acne until he passed at 75 - thanks for that particular gene Gramps :faint:

20. ttdberg

ttdberg Pellet Pig

Stinny, ivanhoe, wildwest and 5 others like this.