In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Dr. Stoveglove Or: How I Learned to Stop Worrying and Hate Woodstock Stove Co.

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by BCC_Burner, Oct 31, 2021.

1. BCC_Burner

BCC_Burner

Well, my POS, excuse me, Ideal Steel was installed on Friday. First, Woodstock needs to fire whoever packages their stoves for shipping, as mine arrived looking ridiculously beat up. Paint scratched and chipped, bypass lever bent, ash pan mechanism bent in many directions and rubbed raw of all paint, abrasions on the burners that were severe enough to burr the metal and not just remove the paint, etc..

After 6+ weeks of lies and misinformation from Woodstock about when my stove would ship, I was nearly in tears when I first laid eyes on it and saw what horrendous shape it was in.

I bought an Englander 30-NC from Home Depot and had it dropped at my house back in 2013, and that stove arrived both undamaged, and the overall finish quality of it was far superior to the Woodstock that cost 4x as much.

It's worth pointing out that Woodstock was kind enough to include a can of touch up paint (although a $4000 stove should be packaged well enough that the purchaser shouldn't need it, but that's just typical American slothfulness on Woodstock's part), but only for the stove body color. Never mind that the accent pieces were also scratched and dinged to hell, with no way of addressing that damage.

Then, I decided to fire it up for the first time yesterday afternoon, since it was warm enough to allow me to open the windows to deal with off gassing. That was when every single gasket on the stove (all 4 of them) proceeded to rip out and adhere itself to the surface opposite the one it was supposed to be attached to.

The stove is getting returned to Woodstock in the next week or two. At this point, I have an irredeemably poor opinion of both the company and the products they build, and could never trust one of their stoves in my house.

I can't imagine what they spend on viral marketing to get people to spam woodburning forums around the internet with patently false information about their stoves, but it would be money better spent on hiring some qualified folks to perform thorough QA/QC checks on their stoves.

Think long and hard before giving the folks at Woodstock your money: I was lied to and mislead repeatedly throughout the ordering process, and ended up with a stove that cost $4000 and looks like it should have cost $850. There are very few experiences I've had in life that have been as disappointing as the experience of ordering and installing a Woodstock stove, and I approach life with an "expect the worst and you'll never be disappointed" outlook.

Don't believe the misinformation you read online about their stoves. I am not the only one who has had this experience, and I won't be silenced about it. There are more people out there like me than there are satisfied Woodstock customers, so speak up.

2. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

3. Geoff C

Geoff C

Post some pictures of the damage.

Good thing they have a 6 month no questions asked return policy.

I guess they will be out of business any day now if they are as bad as you say.

4. dennish

dennish

This is a 180 from every review that I have read of WS and their stoves. My phone contact with their CS was great also. I ended up buying a BK, but not from anything having to do with WS.

5. billb3

billb3

It's a troll post and not the first one.

6. fire_man

fire_man

I've had nothing but good experiences from Woodstock and I'm on my 3d WS stove since 2007.

Not saying this specific isssue is not real or frustrating, just that I have not seen many negative reviews about WS.

Screwloose, Barcroftb, two6's and 8 others like this.
  7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

1) I am satisfied Woodstock customer
    2) you seem to blame a small family owned company in NH for:
    1) shipping trouble in US right now
    2) you signing for damaged shipped product
    3) not knowing to check a whole 4 gaskets on a new woodstove that obviously had been (although no pics posted yet) mishandled in shipping by your own comments about bent parts. Are you sure you can handle using a woodstove?​

8. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

A copy and paste from the other site.

9. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

I think we’ll leave it here a moment so other members can apprise the OP’s story. :sherlock:

Screwloose, Barcroftb, two6's and 9 others like this.
  10. Hoytman

Hoytman

Doubtful...:popcorn:

...and I don’t even own a WoodStock.

Last edited: Oct 31, 2021
  11. Hoytman

Hoytman

Why would anyone hook even a box store stove that was in said condition? You don’t go ahead and install it. No way to know for sure if it was original shipping crate either.

Too many unanswered questions in original post for me to believe this. I suppose it’s possible, but as my original comment...doubtful.

Screwloose, mat60, Barcroftb and 6 others like this.
  12. yooperdave

yooperdave

I thought you canceled the order back in Sep?

Order WS Ideal Steel Stove!

No matter, I guess. Sounds like all your troubles with the stove are results of gorillas in the shipping industry-not reflective of the manufacturer.

Are you related to anyone in the kangaroo state by chance?

And aren't you the same person that started bad mouthing the U.S. not too long ago?

mat60, Screwloose, Barcroftb and 12 others like this.
  13. yooperdave

yooperdave

Found it. It was in reply to someone's damaged Absolute stove. Which apparently happened in shipping.... again.

Screwloose, mat60, Barcroftb and 7 others like this.
  14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Certainly not a "credible review" IMO

Screwloose, mat60, Barcroftb and 7 others like this.
  15. Eckie

Eckie

I'm sorry to hear your IS got some bad treatment during shipping, that's a real bummer. Even though my AS took longer than was originally stated before shipment (took longer for the EPA paperwork to get finished), WS was always very professional and easy to talk to. I haven't unpacked or installed my AS yet, but gave the entire package a thorough visual inspection when I took it off the truck with the tractor. I was impressed with how the stove was packaged, and saw no damage whatsoever to the crating or wrapping.

It's a shame the shipping company couldn't handle your IS quite as well. It would be helpful if you could post pictures, that way other people would know what kind of damage they should be on the look out for.

mat60, Screwloose, Barcroftb and 8 others like this.
  16. moresnow

moresnow

17. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

Who was the shipping Co.? Because they own the damage to your stove....

18. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Dang it man! Snack counter kid said you got the last "extra butter" unless I wanna wait on the next one! :hair: ;)

mat60, Screwloose, Barcroftb and 10 others like this.
  19. Horkn

Horkn

Don't bogart all the:popcorn:

mat60, Screwloose, Barcroftb and 8 others like this.
  20. Rearscreen

Rearscreen

He kind of shows his cards in the first statement with "was installed". I assume he was out skiing while some "installer" put it in damaging it in
    the process? Or, did he install it himself? If he installed it, why would he install a damaged stove? Or, did he try to install it himself and now is blaming someone else for not knowing how to move a 600 lb object? So many questions, so few pictures.

mat60, Screwloose, Barcroftb and 5 others like this.