In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

DOWN EAST wood pellets ?

Discussion in 'The Pellet Bag' started by Luneyburg, May 15, 2018.

1. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

Has anyone heard or tried these yet ? yes I know its not the time to be burning and these seem to be from a company in Maine . Not much info on them out there just wondering if anyone has heard of them. I did find an article on them but did not bookmark it. Ill have to find it again before i state some wrong information .
    Ok heres a link to the article : older article but without taking to much time this is all I found
    Priced at $260 a ton currently at a nearby dealer.

$80 million wood pellet production facility planned for Eastport, could create 100 jobs

down-east-pellets-171x300.jpg

2. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

Sounds interesting!!

:popcorn: :coldone:

IHATEPROPANE, Rich250 and slvrblkk like this.
  3. subsailor

subsailor

You actually have those pellets available by you? I'm surprised. I have not heard of them up here, and the company mentioned in the article, Cate Street Capital, are a bunch of crooks as far as I can see. They borrowed millions of dollars, backed by the state, to invest in the papermill, which is now closed and dismantled. Of course this cost the state millions of dollars. This is also the same company that was building a state of the art torrified wood pellet plant on the closed paper mill site that never materialized. So if they are actually making pellets in Eastport, yeah, I'm surprised. As always, buy a bag or 2 before commiting.

4. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

5. artc

artc

Eastport would seem to be an odd place for a pellet mill. It's a long way from I95 on 2 lane roads. There is literally one road in to Eastport! it has a port, but I don't think large enough for a bulk container, and 24 foot tides.

on the plus side, unemployment is high in the area, primarily among the Indians, so it would seem to have a good availability of labor. but quality help?

I didn't notice anything last year when I was there in terms of a large operation. The area is pretty depressed in my opinion.

I wonder if they are just being packaged by someone else......

SKEETER McCLUSKEY likes this.
  6. Luneyburg

Luneyburg

Tomorrow I finally after 7 weeks of agony am going in for an MRI and afterword I will take a ride up the road to see the dealer and see if he has any in stock. They are listed on his website but will check with him tomorrow and see if I can grab a few bags and check it out.
    Was not thrilled by the article Sub either but it is an old article and who knows what the deal is, will find out tomorrow possibly whether or not the pellets themselves are worth a damm.

They may very well be packaged by someone else artc wouldn't be a hoot if they are in fact Energex 100% softwoods ! Same price closer locale so maybe a win win situation for myself, well with that said may be a while before I can re-stack 10 tons :confused:

Last edited: May 16, 2018
  7. subsailor

subsailor

The original plans for a pellet mill in Eastport was for the export market. Eastport has one pier than will accommodate a 900 foot and 500 foot vessel simultaneously and another pier that will take a 700 foot vessel. It is the deepest port in Maine.

artc, SKEETER McCLUSKEY and jtakeman like this.
  8. Scot Linkletter

Scot Linkletter

Have you seen those bags anywhere? A google search on the image comes up with nothing. The linked article isn't related to that packaging though. The article is from 2013 and I don't think that mill exists.

jtakeman likes this.
  9. artc

artc

the main pier is pretty big and recently redone. You can drive a trailer truck out there and turn it around, if the people fishing aren't in the way. but it's surrounded by small roads and 'in town' housing. I can't imagine moving bulk pellets onto the pier under those conditions. I didn't know there was another pier, but I didn't see any activity on my visit that would indicate a boost to the local economy.

20+ foot tides to consider as well. years ago I launched an 18 foot I/O boat there and fished around Campabello island and in the St. Crioux. got a good look at the famous 'old sow' whirlpool that develops each tide. really cool!

Old Sow Whirlpool

jtakeman likes this.
  10. subsailor

subsailor

I don't either. I was there 2 years ago and I didn't see any mill nor have I heard of one. I would think if anyone knew about one you would.

11. Scot Linkletter

Scot Linkletter

The Pelletsnow.com website shows the bag and has more information.

12. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

:binoculars:

DEast pellets.JPG

SKEETER McCLUSKEY and Rich250 like this.
  13. subsailor

subsailor

Rebagged MWP softies, shoulda known.

14. jtakeman

jtakeman Moderator

:cool:

Rich250 likes this.
  15. Scot Linkletter

Scot Linkletter

"Rebagged" sounds like they were old pellets taken out of one bag and put in another.
    They were just made and so new that I was surprised to see mention of them already.

SKEETER McCLUSKEY and jtakeman like this.
  16. subsailor

subsailor

No offense intended. When I worked in a paper mill it was known as private label manufacturing. You make it but put someone else's name on it.

17. Lousyweather

Lousyweather

yes, very common anymore.....Look how many iterations there are of NEWP's. Often done for competitive retail situations where one retailer doesnt want to appear to have the same product as her/her competition...

Luneyburg, subsailor and jtakeman like this.
  18. Scot Linkletter

Scot Linkletter

No offense taken. I just wanted to emphasise that it's a new product.

Luneyburg, PelletHound and jtakeman like this.