In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Door corner fans

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Iron Stove, Oct 3, 2021.

1. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Can't seem to find any new fans that faster to door corners to circulate heated air. Anybody with any idea's ?

mat60, Backwoods Savage and Stinny like this.
  2. Stinny

Stinny

You'll have to rig a mount to attach the fan to your door.

3. Horkn

Horkn

4. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

imacman, mat60 and Backwoods Savage like this.
  5. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Box fan or smaller on “Low” on the floor blowing cold air back to the stove room is the most effective way to bring warm air to distant rooms. But Backwoods Savage will be along to expound further.

eatonpcat, Barcroftb, imacman and 4 others like this.
  6. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Thanks Eric.

Before you spend some dollars you might reconsider the movement of heated air.

First of all, cold or cool air is more dense than warm air. Consider flying, whether in a plane or paraglider or even a kite. As the air warms there is much less lift. As the air cools (gets more dense) there is much more lift. On the extreme, recall that many times airplanes are not allowed to take off or land when the temperature gets too high; not enough lift.

Now consider trying to move air inside a house that has been heated by a nice wood burning stove. Trying to move that heated air into a cooler room in the house just does not work very well at all. However, if you use a box fan as Eric suggested, or even a smaller desk top fan; set the fan on the floor and run it on the lowest speed (so you don't create an uncomfortable draft), and aimed at the stove room and you will be amazed at how the warm air goes to the area behind the fan. In short, the cool air blown into the warm air forces that warm air out. Many people do this to heat the far end of the home. One example is with a hallway leading to far bedrooms and bath. This is an excellent way to heat those rooms by setting the fan in the hallway and aiming towards the stove room.

Good luck.

7. bobdog2o02

bobdog2o02

This

8. cnice_37

cnice_37

If you (or anyone) wants to experiment with something like this, I have a box full in my basement. I listed them here for free a while back.

9. Screwloose

Screwloose

What I did was over restore a old Ilg 123 iirc self cooled fan. After painting I flattened and polished the tops of all of the cast letters and numbers and cleared over it. It now has a ECM motor installed for efficiency so it draws very little power. I then put it through the wall all the up by the ceiling so it silently causes the air to basically revolve around the inside of the house.
    Kinda funny when someone stares for a bit and asks "is that spinning?"

Backwoods Savage and mat60 like this.
  10. Screwloose

Screwloose

If by chance you happen to have any EBM papst fans with the cast rotor/fan wheel they make a cool top.
    Super glue a wire nut dead center on the hub of the blades. Once cured plug it in and set it wire nut down on a hard surface and let it go.

Backwoods Savage and cnice_37 like this.
  11. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

Thanks for the well thought out reply. Yes I'm very aware of the methods of heat transfer. I live in a raised ranch, and experiance the " thermal currents " , especially during real cold, as the cold air descends down the stairs into the basement where the pellet stove is located. When I installed my OAK, it cud down on the nasty cold air at the floor, and only had chilled air.

I'm just looking for something that would be out of the way, and hardly noticable, hence the corner fans. Looking to enhance the air currents a bit on cool days when it's not as pronounced. I do have a few different size oscillating fans, so will lock one in place and see if meets the goals and helps without being a tripping hazard.

mat60, imacman and Backwoods Savage like this.
  12. dwyleecoyote

dwyleecoyote

The trick of moving cold air instead of warm air seriously works, and for me was a real game changer. If you must or want to use a door fan, don't buy one made for a door, just buy something you can drive some screws through to mount. I used one of these. A lot cheaper, and I just ran screws right through the base to mount in the corner of the doorway. Moves more air then the tiny ones as well.

13. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

The space for a fan is why we used this:
    Vornado fan.jpg

Very short blades and just about silent running on low but is amazing how it can move the warm to the rear of the house.

wildwest and imacman like this.
  14. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

I have a couple of those, they work great, the Vornado I had previously was a lot quieter but it's a big price difference.

15. Iron Stove

Iron Stove

I'll look into the Honeywell and " vornado". Thanks

imacman and wildwest like this.
  16. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

We have a 14" oscillating fan that blows cooler floor area toward the wood stove. Not only does it work well, but its much quieter than our good box fan.
    Rarely do we run the fan on other than the lowest setting.

I'm thinking of cutting a hole in a wall between rooms, and permanently installing a fan of some sort in it, right about floor level. Maybe a good oscillating fan...take it off the base, mount the push buttons up higher etc. That would eliminate the floor space issue.

In a bedroom....what about mounting a fan directly to the door? Then, make the door a dutch door (where the top half opens) so air moves all night?

Sca

17. Pete Zahria

Pete Zahria

Years ago, I tried the 'corner' fan in a doorway.
    It was just way too annoying........

Dan

MikeInMa, imacman and eatonpcat like this.
  18. bogieb

bogieb

Home Depot has a corner fan in white, Lowes has one in brown, Amazon has corner fans like someone else showed. I have used both the HD and the AMZN with decent results. I used them before I put a smaller stove on the main floor. The HD one is still set up under a "vent" from the basement to the living room in case the P43 goes down (not in a door corner, but hey, I'm a rebel like that ;)).

I found in my house, trying to blow cold air out of the bedroom at floor level was a lesson in futility - it would just draw cold air from one of the outside 5 walls to replenish itself. Using using a corner fan in the door at the same time to push warm air in worked a lot better. But again, that was before I put a stove on the main floor.

imacman and eatonpcat like this.
  19. Skier76

Skier76

I use a box fan hooked up to a Wi-Fi plug. Makes it easy to toggle on and off as needed.

imacman likes this.
  20. Mr Brick

Mr Brick

Throwing my two cents in. The minuteman doorway fan on Amazon is very quiet, and works pretty well in a smaller house. I'm sure bottom of doorway fans work better, but with the narrow doorways we have, and a toddler, it's just not worth it.

imacman and bogieb like this.