In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Do You Burn Poplar?

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Jack Straw, Sep 27, 2014.

1. Jack Straw

Jack Straw

I have my own wood lot with plenty of good btu trees. I have been making trails through an area which has a lot of poplar trees. Years ago before I started heating with wood, I tried burning some poplar in the fire pit with little luck (it may have been wet?). I know that I should C,S & S some and just try it. I was just was wondering what other people's experiences with Poplar were. I also have a lot of Hemlock cut up, is that better or worse than Poplar.

Last edited: Sep 27, 2014
  2. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

If it is blocking a trail or in the way, we just cut it and push it out of the way. It could be used as shoulder season wood but it just doesn't last long in the stove.

Jack Straw likes this.
  3. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

We had a massive tulip poplar come down during a storm over the summer. Well it's css and will be used during ss over the next few years. I asked a similar question and the answers were the same. Seasons quite rapidly, and burns the same. Good choice for ss if it saves from burning the primo stuff when high btu's aren't needed! :)

4. basod

basod

Burns fast leaves no coals and fine powdery ash - quite a bit of it.
    Good kindling and restart wood, or just like pine get the stove up to temp pretty quick.

I've heard people complain about it popping and throwing embers, never had any issues with dry stuff on my end

5. PullinMyPoulan

PullinMyPoulan

I have burned some last year heats quick burns fast.Got some seasoned aspen that I will burn in my polebarn this year.I have a barrel stove I heat with works good for getting rid of the stuff you don't want to burn in the house.

6. Blue Vomit

Blue Vomit

There is your answer.

Poplar is no where near the wood snob threshold.

7. Jon1270

Jon1270

I bring it home from the shop (kiln dried scraps) and use it for kindling, which it's good for. I wouldn't bother processing it as fuel.

Jack Straw and basod like this.
  8. Fanatical1

Fanatical1

I have burned a fair amount and agree with everyone's comments. Splits really nice and drys quickly but low BTU's, good for fire starting. On the other hand, I take every kind of firewood, that comes my way. I don't use it for the fire pits any longer. Smokes too much and has an unpleasant odor when burning. :tears:

Hemlock probably is a little behind poplar for BTU's but not much. I have a fair amount of both hemlock and poplar, and usually cull the poplar saplings in favor of nearby hardwoods.

basod likes this.
  9. bigbarf48

bigbarf48

I like poplar. It's easy to split and seasons pretty damm quick. I've got about 1/4 cord of tulip from a small tree I removed in the back hard and it's already bone dry after 8 months

If you have to cut it anyways, you may as well split it up. But then again, I'm not one to leave wood in the woods :tree::axe:

milleo, Drvn4wood, papadave and 2 others like this.
  10. PullinMyPoulan

PullinMyPoulan

I like that Dodge you have looks like a 85 I used to have.I've been looking for another but there all rusted out up here:(

11. Stinny

Stinny

Bettin' dry poplar would be sorta like dry aspen. My bro burns a lot of aspen and says it's OK, just burns too fast. Uses oak for the overnight burns. And, you're prolly right... the poplar you burned that smoked was wet wood.

milleo, papadave, basod and 1 other person like this.
  12. Gasifier

Gasifier

Nothing wrong with burning Poplar. Sort of like Box Elder. Gives heat, just need to get it dried out. I burn either every once in a while, if the price is right. (Free!:thumbs:)

basod likes this.
  13. Highbeam

Highbeam

I've burned a lot of swamp woo like cottonwood, willow, aspen, and poplar. All are considered hardwoods due to leaves but all fall below our typical doug fir or red alder on the btu charts.

Assuming all are processed and seasoned properly, the difference is relatively small in a modern stove. The whole gopher wood story is a wife's tail like so many about burning pine.

To be fair, I'm not comparing oak or kickory. We dont get the high btu woods over here.

Jack Straw and Gasifier like this.
  14. red oak

red oak

Burn it next month or in the spring. Don't count on it in the middle of winter. Some may burn it outside but I'm not a big fan of the smell. It does go quick and there's not a great deal of heat to it.

Jack Straw likes this.
  15. HDRock

HDRock

Yep I burn it in shoulder season ,if I have it, dries real fast, burns hot n fast.
    I have some 6-8" poplars I have to take out , I will dry em and burn em

16. nate

nate Banned

Heat the shop with it... well cottonwood, but same animal pretty much. Have probably 100 cords in logs out there. Usually has a TON of water when green so it's heavier than steel!

17. bigbarf48

bigbarf48

I've noticed that about cottonwood too. SUPER wet when green. Heavy as oak when your hauling it but dries light as a feather :(

donny_appleseed likes this.
  18. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

I received a few years worth in my beginning days and it heated my house for a few years.

GRIZ, milleo and HDRock like this.
  19. papadave

papadave

I don't burn a lot of it, but plan to.
    SS fires or daytime fires when I'm around and outside temps are as low as 20.
    Just doesn't last, but I don't expect it to.

What exactly is "plenty"?
    I hate using Oak when I can use a lesser wood........depends on the situation.
    I burn pine too.:hair::rofl: :lol:

20. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

I recall reading something once that Poplar is the amongst fastest BTU biomass producing trees. It might not be very dense but they get big quick.