In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Do new catalytic stove make dust?

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by dennish, Jun 28, 2021.

1. dennish

dennish

My current stove makes a lot of dust in my house. I put a deposit on an Ideal Steel. I want longer burn times and less wood use. Will I also get little to no dust?

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

No.

Welcome to the forum dennish. You will live that stove.

3. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I've had a wood stove with a catalytic combuster for years. We get dust from ashes. Not alot, but enough that it's noticed.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  4. CoachSchaller

CoachSchaller

I have the Ideal Steel. It can make some dust when cleaning it. Not very much from loading, but can get dusty when raking the ash into the ash pan. This is dependent on how good of draft one has.

Backwoods Savage and Slocum like this.
  5. billb3

billb3

The stove makes ash dust mess ?
    I always thought it was the operator. :)
    If your current stove is like a Jotul 600 if you use the front doors for loading then yeah, almost any new stove with a small loading door is gonna be a lot better.

If you're going for world record reloading times and ash clean out times the trade-off is going to be some mess. You don't need to be intercontinental drift slow loading or cleaning to have less mess either.

Little ? - maybe
    None ? - no (if I was trying to sell you a new stove I would be avoiding the word no)

PA Mountain Man likes this.