In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Disappointed

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by Locust Post, Sep 20, 2020.

1. Locust Post

Locust Post

Cool nights so I thought I would brush the liner and get ready even though I never burn this early as I like to run the gas boiler a bit for the cool evenings just to make sure it is ok. The liner is deteriorated and will need replaced. I cannot find any paperwork from it but I am pretty sure that it is 6 years old. It shows on the company website that it has a lifetime warranty but it states it has to be cleaned and checked yearly by a certified sweep. I will call tomorrow and see how it goes. 8" double wall stainless liner with insulation wrap.

2. Locust Post

Locust Post

Ok so I just looked back at my posting history and was able to figure out the liner is 8 years old.

3. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton

What's the typical life of a liner?

4. Locust Post

Locust Post

Not sure but I had the same initial thought. But what I can find on the web it seems it should be longer than that unless you burn sub par wood or other contaminates.

5. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Do you have a insert? What exactly is a liner? Dumb question maybe...

mat60 and Backwoods Savage like this.
  6. Locust Post

Locust Post

Chimney liner, (1 pc. flexible pipe that runs from the stove to the top of the chimney). Yes, an insert.

7. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

:handshake:

mat60 and Horkn like this.
  8. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

I think I have read somewhere that 20 years is not unusual
    Doublewall huh? Assuming you mean 2 ply, and not "doublewall" as in the pre-insulated stuff (that's what I used to line my second chimney) but yeah, I made the "2 ply smooth wall" mistake too...I have found out since then that those things are a bad deal...the inner layer often doesn't lay back down flat when you roll it back out straight after its rolled up for shipping, so it is a good place for creosote to accumulate...plus the inner layer can "de-laminate"...get to thinking about it, mine is about 8 years old too! :eek:
    I noticed that mine does have a few "fins" sticking up, but its been that way since day one, and hasn't changed so far, but I use a Sooteater to clean mine, not a brush anymore...I think brushing them make things worse faster.
    Hope you didn't get it from Chimney Liner Depot, like I did, cuz they gone! Big waste of money :makeitrain" I could have gotten a single ply liner for something like $400 less!
    Surprisingly, from what I gather, a regular old single ply liner works just fine for most people...if you want a little extra insurance (like I thought I was getting by going with a 2 ply 316Ti insulated liner) they make mid weight and heavy duty single ply liners that are considered by the pro's to be "the best" in terms of durability.

Maina, mat60, Rush Battle and 3 others like this.
  9. Locust Post

Locust Post

Correct, 2ply smooth wall, bought it from Rockford Chimney

10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Wow, that is not good. I hope you get something from them.

Maina and mat60 like this.
  11. Locust Post

Locust Post

Well I had to send pictures of the liner then answer a few questions relate to use and cleaning.
    Got the word today and they are sending me a new liner and insulation kit no charge.
    Needless to say I have only good words and praise for Rockford Chimney Supply.
    I am going with a different style liner as well.

Last edited: Sep 23, 2020
    thewoodlands, Maina, Thor and 7 others like this.
  12. Locust Post

Locust Post

Also I was incorrect, it was 9 years old

13. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

question. Why not just use a SS straight pipe and insulate with a vermiculite?

14. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

You can't get rigid down many chimneys... vermiculite tends to leak into/out of every crack...super messy with an insert...plus it's almost impossible to know that the pipe is centered in the insulation...so might not offer any CTC protection...and most insurance company's will want a "certified" product used...

15. Locust Post

Locust Post

It is not a straight shot off the stove and up the chimney. It has to go up and bend around the fireplace smoke shelf.

16. Locust Post

Locust Post

brenndatomu and Chvymn99 like this.
  17. Locust Post

Locust Post

Got the new liner in with some help of the same friend that helped me with the original one. Surround panels back on, cat cleaned and reinstalled, 3 new fire bricks in the back wall of the stove. Ready for winter !!! :rootintootin::coldfire:

milleo, moresnow, BCB and 10 others like this.