In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Diagnose my Husqvarna 450 Rancher

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Hookedup24, Nov 27, 2017.

1. Hookedup24

Hookedup24

Hi all,

Wondering if you could help out a semi-lurker of the site? Unfortunately I don't get out cutting very often so I don't have too much to add to the group.

Anyway, I bought this plastic saw about two years ago from Lowe's. I have about 12 tanks of gas through it. The last two outings it would run fine for about 20 minutes then it would struggle to reach top RPM. When I would apply even the smallest load it would bog down, but would not stall. The carb and idle settings have not been adjusted.

I'm not mechanically inclined, but I'd rather attempt to fix it myself than give it to the dealer. I have access to a few other saws so I have some time to work on this one.

Thanks in advance.

2. CoreyB

CoreyB

Hmm running fine until 20min. Could be scary. May have an air leak . That can burn a saw up real fast. Could be a fuel issues. Check your fuel line and vent . Change fuel filter and spark plug. Would be nice to hear it run. Does idle change when holding the saw on one side or the other. Does it change if you hold it upside down. Lots of little things to check

JW IN VA and Eric VW like this.
  3. Warner

Warner

Just a stab in the dark here but if you say you don’t use it much the first place I’d look is at the fuel line. They tend to rot off. Could be any number of things tho

JW IN VA and Eric VW like this.
  4. mirnldi

mirnldi

Replace fuel filter, fuel line, clean carb, and new spark plug and report back

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

JW IN VA, Dakota Hoarder and Eric VW like this.
  5. EnglishBob

EnglishBob

You are using a correct gas oil mix ?
    Chain too tight ?

Yeh chain way too tight and binding, check tension and bar oil.

I use a 450 as my limb and back up saw and had no problems...............

The Wood Wolverine likes this.
  6. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Hookedup24 where in Pa are ya? There's a bunch of us that could help ya out, maybe someone is close. I'm a Gettysburg address.

Last edited: Nov 27, 2017
  7. Hookedup24

Hookedup24

Thanks for the replies. Since this saw sips fuel and I was gifted a gallon, I have only been running the non-ethanol 50:1 premixed T3 fuel from Lowes. The chain doesn't not tighten over time. Not sure if it runs differently when the saw is turned in different positions. I'm fresh off a concussion, so I am not picking up any power tools so the next few days, but will check that when I can. My gut thought was that it was somehow related to the saw getting hot.

Wood Wolverine, I am in Bucks County, near Doylestown.

8. Firewood Bandit

Firewood Bandit

I'll take a stab.

Since it is not that old and you have been running canned fuel we'll ASSume fuel related problems are not responsible. Since the problem is occurring after 20 min., the saw gets leaner as it reaches full operating temp. I am guessing the saw was very lean when you got it and as it heats up the lean condition is worse and overheating has caused the fall off in RPM. Hopefully serious damage has not been done already. Get it checked with a tach and somebody that has the tools to properly adjust it.

9. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Shoot, little too far for me. Would you be confident in removing the muffler? A very easy thing to do, just keep the gasket and shield in order so you can get it back right. A few screws and it's off, then it goes back the same way. It would be beneficial to remove it, pull the rope and see the piston through the port. Snap a pic if you could. If the piston has any odd look to it, you have a problem. Here pics to show what we're/you're looking for.

First pic shows some issues near the middle of the piston and ring. If you have this, you don't want to continue to run the saw. Best to know if the ring is free or stuck.
    DSC00769.JPG
    Next pic shows a clean piston. This is idea and can ease your mind that the saw is running with a good tune, when it does run.
    DSC00767.JPG
    This is just a continuation of the first pic showing the scoring. This maybe totally on the piston alone or could be starting to leave piston material on the side of the cylinder, which ain't good!
    DSC00763.JPG

If it did, it could be headed toward this:
    DSC07794.JPG

10. Hookedup24

Hookedup24

Pictures aren’t the greatest, but with the naked eye I didn’t see any damage.

Attached Files:

cnice_37 and concretegrazer like this.
  11. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Very good news... You aren't lean seizing! Those lines are the machine marks still on the piston, which is good. I'd say button the muff back up and diagnose elsewhere.

To eliminate tank vent as the issue you could run it long enough for it to start acting up, then sit it down in it's side and crack the fuel cap while running, retighten, then see if it'll rev up.
    I can't imagine a 2 year old saw has rotting or collapsing fuel line already.

concretegrazer likes this.
  12. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I can't make out the ring. Was it free?

13. Hookedup24

Hookedup24

I appreciate everyone’s response. I have not had time, but I plan on having the saw tuned shortly. In the meantime, here is a pic of a 55’ tree I dropped with my uncles equipment. Husky 576 for the felling and trunk bucking. 435 for the little stuff. This was standing dead for 3 years. I believe it is a hickory. The top branches provided 2 days of heat. The rounds will add to the 3+ cords I have in rounds. Gotta get them split before our lakes freeze over.

Attached Files:

JW IN VA likes this.