In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Desperately ISO Harman p68 or st Croix Auburn

Discussion in 'Pellet Stoves, Pellet Fireplaces, Pellet Furnaces' started by Ms M, Nov 12, 2022.

1. Ms M

Ms M

Our Auburn rusted through. It was 15 years young. We are in Maryland. Willing to pick up in Maryland or DE. Shipping also if further away. I would love to get a reconditioned or in good condition used Harman p68 or Auburn at a fair price. It’s November 2022… we have no heat source now! Im a senior. We need your help.

Last edited: Nov 12, 2022
    jtakeman and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  2. imacman

imacman

I'm assuming you've done a thorough scan of your local Craigslist.

jtakeman and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  3. Ms M

Ms M

Yes…and Craigslist in MD, PA, DE, VA. FB marketplace, online, stores, I spent 8 hours yesterday in search, I found a new one but.., we will struggle to pay the cost. We have no credit.

SmokeyTheBear and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  4. Ms M

Ms M

Gee thanks. I know now. Don’t need any more advice that is in hindsight! Need a stove.
    BTW.. we hired numerous companies to service this unit and I did a lot myself.… none of them apparently did the job they were there to do. Auburn has many parts to service.., it’s not for lack of care. The simple fix is pulling the pipe out of the wall in the spring that was something we didn’t consider. I personally replaced the room fan, the intake fan ordered new glass and constantly cleaned the insides.
    If you’re going to comment on bad decisions and choices… you may want to Consider the laziness and ignorance of the “technicians” that are sent out to service these units.

I finally found someone who took the unit apart from stem to stern. And.., now I won’t use anyone else. He was magnificent to watch snd learn from.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  5. Ms M

Ms M

Oh you fill me with such joy! Please don’t respond unless you have something positive to say.

6. Earl764

Earl764

Does it have to be either of those models? Seeing a mix of units on craigslist in CT. Also check facebook marketplace.

imacman and SmokeyTheBear like this.
  7. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Perhaps a better result can be found if you use the heating figures of your old unit instead of looking at specific stoves. I am certain that will likely find a stove that will handle the job. Folks on here normally deal with burning issues and as a result are quite cognizant of the general lack of actual knowledge among the so called technicians.

slvrblkk and imacman like this.
  8. Ms M

Ms M

We have 2200’sq feet of house. We need a substantial unit. Harman is built to last. I would rather pay more for a used Harman than buy a cheap new unit. The recommendation for Harman came from the man who amazed me with the yearly cleaning and had parts out of the stove cleaning each individual piece separately.

jtakeman and imacman like this.
  9. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

You need a minimum of 40,000 btus to replace that Auburn.

10. Ms M

Ms M

Yes, I noticed that. But isn’t the difference in using the corn as fuel. It burns hotter than pellets. But I could probably get a Harman p43 if the corn doesn’t make a big difference. We have 2 floors and had to cut a hole in our ceiling to allow the heat to rise up.

11. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Any of the stand alone Harman units can provide the raw BTUs but the 61 and 68 can easily handle the load. The Allure 50 with its 92 lb hopper looks to be quite a beast. You just chased off a corn guy.

12. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

I have always tried to not push a stove to its limits, and yes corn burns hotter but the stove has one limit.

13. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

If jtackman is on ask him what happens when he goes multifuel on his Omega.

jtakeman, slvrblkk and imacman like this.
  14. Ms M

Ms M

The Harman p43 only heats up to 1400 sq feet. Not enuf for us, even though it has 43,000 btu. So I’m stuck unless you have a suggestion of a stove that will last more than 5-10 years.

15. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

The square foot figure is a joke for all stoves. To damm many assumptions none of which are ever listed.

16. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

Well I've only visited two websites, you are not stuck. Remove the self imposed blinders and use the raw 40,000 BTU figure.

17. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

18. Ms M

Ms M

What is your rating of or do You know anything about Earthsense/ pellethead stoves online.,, I’ve checked that list of all st Croix near me. One had a fire and isn’t doing biz. The other in Elkton MD I’ve called and left messsges… no reply. I Think most don’t have inventory.

19. SmokeyTheBear

SmokeyTheBear

1. Due to manufacturer restrictions, we are only able to sell new stoves in Wisconsin & Upper Michigan.

First problem I see, I have purchased parts from them.
    But the Quad Classic Bay is a good unit and has the horses you need.

I haven't looked at the Prescott but there were a few of them on here i can't say for certain but I think Xena had one.

I used to heat with a Saranac before my stroke made it unsafe for me. 2088 sq feet. From the basement.

slvrblkk and PelletHound like this.
  20. imacman

imacman

The Classic Bay is a great stove.

slvrblkk and SmokeyTheBear like this.