In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Deli Venison

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by jrcurto, Jan 17, 2014.

1. jrcurto

jrcurto

Here's another one for us deer hunters, Venison Pastrami. I've been making this all fall and have had family and friends pleading for it. Had to defrost four small roasts to make batches for Christmas gifts and New Years sangwiches. Have fun.

First you will have to get some Morton "Tender Quick" home meat cure. I got a 2 lb. bag on Amazon for $14. It goes a long way so share if you can. I know Cabelas has it and have seen it around some grocery stores but not when I needed it. Next you need to harvest a deer, find some road kill, or steal a haunch from your hunting buddy. I bone out my hindquarters and separate the top and bottom round as well as the eye of round sitting in-between. I use two 2 lb. rounds and a 1 lb. eye round for this recipe set at 5 lbs. total. Every batch these days is 10 lbs. and I have started using shoulder roasts as well, just gave them more curing time.
    You have to measure and use the tender quick accurately or you'll have a sodium bomb in the end. 1 tablespoon per pound of meat. Just lay the pieces out and sprinkle the cure/spice mix evenly and really pack it on and in, smells so good. I also used ground chipotle powder and smoked paprika on one batch, but the traditional method is a good start. After curing time be sure to rinse and soak the meat as described. The final rub is a matter of taste, I use extra fresh cracked black pepper and garlic powder. Some put brown sugar on too but I don't like it. I use the oven method mostly, the smoker seems to take that deli pastrami texture out of it. If you can get a slicer, it makes all the difference. Hot or cold its great. Rye, swiss cheese or aged cheddar, mustard, horseradish, and of course an ice cold beer or iced tea.

VENISON PASTRAMI

Cure:
    5 tablespoons (1 tbsp. per pound of meat) Morton Tender Quick meat cure
    4 tablespoons brown sugar
    1 tablespoon coarsely ground black pepper
    1 tablespoon crushed bay leaf
    1 tablespoon paprika
    1 teaspoon ground allspice
    1 teaspoon garlic powder
    5 pounds venison rump roast, or rounds of preference, can be several smaller pieces.

Rub:
    3 Tbsp. black pepper
    1 tsp. ground coriander
    1 tsp. garlic powder
    1 tsp. paprika

Whisk together curing mixture, brown sugar, pepper, paprika, bay leaf, allspice, and garlic powder in a bowl. Make sure all of the ingredients are as close to the same size as possible. Rub mixture over venison roast, pack on the cure evenly. Wrap tightly in plastic wrap, ziplock, or use a tight container. Refrigerate for 5 days, turn meat daily. Liquid will form, leave it. If you want stronger flavor go longer.
    Remove roast from the refrigerator and rinse thoroughly to remove the curing mixture. *Place in a bowl with water to cover, and soak, refrigerated, for 2 hours. Drain, pat dry.
    Preheat oven to 250 degrees. Convection use 225 or lower
    Season roast with additional Rub and place in a roasting pan.
    Bake, uncovered, in the preheated oven until the center reads 160 degrees, about 2 hours. Flip once mid-way if possible.
    Or
    Smoke at 200 degrees for 3-4 hrs, 150 internal.
    Smaller pieces will cook faster, I used feel to test doneness. Let meat cool totally or let rest in refrig before slicing.
    Slice as thin as possible.

basod, Grizzly Adam and Pyroholic like this.