In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Debark?

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Ohio dave, Jun 19, 2020.

1. Ohio dave

Ohio dave

Should I debark apple and hickory that I'm selling in 5 gallon buckets as smoker wood..
    And if so what's the most efficient way?

2. SKEETER McCLUSKEY

SKEETER McCLUSKEY

i wouldnt....but thats my opinion:smoke:but i might do barked and unbarked,with the unbarked at a higher price.
    the easiest way is to use center/inside splits only for unbarked if the wood is large enough diameter....if not it needs to dry in the sun and most of the bark will come loose but its long process.

3. fishingpol

fishingpol

Apple bark doesn't give up easily. Lot of extra work that will eat into your profits.

4. Urban Woods

Urban Woods

As for my opinion I think with some wood with thick bark used in smoking meat its definitely worth removing, but thinner bark wood you may be able to sell as is or just disregard the bark edge and only sell the inner heart wood. Burn the bark edge splits for your personal use wherever you see fit.

[​IMG]
    In my wood carving days I used a tool very similar to this design and I was always amazed at how efficient it was at peeling of bark. Yes Apple may be a bit tough, but maybe you will have luck with this (I think I have with apple, but again ...long time ago) and if you cant get all the bark off maybe it will be fine to just clean it up and thin it in which case this will also do it pretty quickly. There is also a rotary planing type too you can install o your chainsaw tip, but I dont know anything about how they work and how easy they are to install and remove off chainsaw bar. I'm sure there are some videos you can check out on YT.
    Narex 890502 240 mm (9-1/2 Inch) Curved Blade Drawknife Cr Steel 55 HRc. Overall Length 17-1/2 Inches

Chaz, Screwloose and Chazsbetterhalf like this.