In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cutting fire bricks

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by Shurdel, Oct 29, 2015.

1. Shurdel

Shurdel

I picked up this stove at a yard sale, thinking I was going to install it in my shop. I installed in in my basement I place of another stove. My question is about the bricks. If I put them in side ways they fit in a channel but don't sit flat on the bottom of the stove. It seems like that would not be correct because it lets the incoming air flow under the bricks and is not directed at the wood. It looks like there is a notches or guides on the very bottom but the bricks don't fit side ways and are too narrow if I run them front to back. What is a good way to cut the bricks? Can I score them with something and snap them? Should they be on the bottom? Thanks image.jpg image.jpg image.jpg

Eric VW and Well Seasoned like this.
  2. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

You should have brick on the bottom and the sides of the stove, to protect the stove as well as help it hold and disperse heat longer. The best way to cut the brick IMO is to use a small 4"grinder with a diamond masonry blade. Wear a respirator when doing the job so you don't breath that nasty dust.....

Rick, Smokinpiney, Shurdel and 3 others like this.
  3. lukem

lukem

If you don't have a grinder you can score them lightly across the cut with a wide chisel....then some firm taps and it will break on the line. Not the cleanest cut, but it works good enough.

When I replaced my fire brick last year I used a wet tile saw. I had to cut from both sides to get all the way through, but the first cut was deep enough I could feel the kerf to guide the second cut without having to redraw my lines.

Shurdel, Scotty Overkill and Eric VW like this.
  4. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

I cut mine with a tile wet saw. Nice and clean with no dust.

Scotty Overkill likes this.
  5. B_Williams

B_Williams

I have to pick up a few for the new, used stove and was planning on a wet tile saw. They're the pumice type of firebrick.

6. lukem

lukem

Pummice bricks are very soft. You can cut them with a hacksaw.

7. B_Williams

B_Williams

Even better. Thanks. This is my first shot at this.

8. bushpilot

bushpilot

I used a masonry blade in my 7 1/4 inch circular saw. Got them from Lowe's, and they cut fine. Makes a lot of dust, as previous said, use a respirator, and cut them outside.

Greg

WeldrDave likes this.
  9. chris

chris

That likely had a cast iron grate in the bottom if there is some type of ash drawer

10. jacksnipe

jacksnipe

I agree on the wet tile saw, I borrowed my brother in laws quite a few times for cutting custom sized fire brick for our insert. I have since purchased one for our own use, it cuts the dense 4 1/2" x 9" fire bricks glass smooth with no dust providing the use of the proper continuous rim blade.

B_Williams likes this.