In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Custom Squirrel Rifles?

Discussion in 'Hobbies and Interests' started by Ron660, Aug 27, 2014.

1. Ron660

Ron660

Squirrel Hunt Oct. 5 2013.jpg Any squirrel hunters out there? If so, anyone using custom rigs (custom barrels)?? This is my custom 22lr I use the most. The only thing original is the action - Rem. 581. Barrel is a match Broughton 1-17 twist, black walnut stock, and a Canjar trigger set under 1.5 lbs. It likes Eley sub-sonic HP's.

2. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

Nothing custom here. But that seems to be one fine rifle you have. Nice shots as well. Never was a fan of using a shotgun. Like yourself, I am a fan of the one shot/head shot :thumbs:

I just use my Ruger 10/22 or a Savage .17 HMR with bull barrel. Both have Nikon 3 x 9's on them. The Savage has an adjustable trigger, but all of them do. For a cheaper rifle, it's a nice option.

3. bassJAM

bassJAM

I've gone through several different .22's. I started off with a 12ga, but the challenge just wasn't there. Next came a 10/22 with some trigger work, then a 10/22 converted to a .17 m2 with even more trigger work. After that I used a Savage bolt action but left it stock. Now I'm using an old Remington 514 single shot with iron sights. I think I'll stick with this one for awhile, it's light, super accurate, and I like the challenge of only having one shot. A buddy just gave me a Marlin Model 60 though as a wedding gift, I might have to give that a try, just to break it in.

4. Ron660

Ron660

Dexter and bassJam those are good choices. As a kid I started with a single-barrel 410 then progressed to an auto 20 then an auto 12. One birthday, 15th I think, I got a nice Marlin model 782 22 mag. w/clip. I traded a few fishing rods for a used Weaver variable scope to mount on it. It was, and still is, quite accurate. The 22 magnum, especially HP's, are to destructive on squirrels. When I could afford to buy my own 22 rifle I bought a very accurate Remington 541-T. I traded it, since I shoot left-hand, and bought a used left-hand Remington 581. I later had it customized and it's been my favorite ever since. I've owned an Anschutz and a few heavy barreled 22's. But my custom Remington is my favorite and most accurate. I enjoy squirrel hunting with my 22 rifle more than deer hunting.

5. bassJAM

bassJAM

I'm impressed with the accuracy of the older .22 rifles. It's a shame that most of the budget .22's these days only have "decent" accuracy. A buddy of mine is obsessed with the Winchester 67, I think he has 3 of them and all are superb shooters. I've been on the lookout for either a Remington 510 Targetmaster or 512 Sportmaster.

I also prefer squirrel hunting to deer hunting. There's nothing more boring to me than waiting in a tree for a deer to pass by. But every time you hear a squirrel shelling nuts in the distance you get the chance to stalk your prey and take a headshot out of the top of a hickory tree.

6. Ron660

Ron660

I agree 100%. I always wanted an old Remington 513 sporter 22. I've heard they're very accurate but hard to find....and pricey. My Remington 541-T would average in the 0.7's with Win HV HP's or CCI mini mag HP's at 50yds. The Anschutz would do slightly better with RWS HP's. I'm right-handed but shoot rifles and shotguns left-handed?? So when I found a used left-handed Remington 581 I grabbed it quick. The accuracy wasn't as good as the 541-T so I decided to have a gunsmith put on a sporter match barrel. Accuracy went from averaging a little over one inch at 50yds to 0.2's at 50yds! It loves Eley subsonic HP's and they'll stay in the low 0.3's or better consistently if I do my part. He also put a match Canjar trigger on it and the pull is under 1.5lbs. That makes head shots a lot easier.

7. Ron660

Ron660

Rem.581-Eley.jpg Here's a target I shot at 50yds, 3 or 5-shot group...I forgot, using Eley Tenex match ammo. The Eley HP's are close to this.

8. bassJAM

bassJAM

That's some good shooting! My Savage Mark IIG is probably my most accurate, I can consistently get 1/2"-3/4" groups at 50 yards with CCI Standard Velocity rounds. I'd be curious what my 514 can do, but I don't want to drill and tap it for a scope.

I saw a Remington 513 a couple years ago in a small gun shop in Kentucky. There was a set of target peep sights on it, and it looked REALLY nice. But the $700 price was just too much for me.

HoneyFuzz, metalcuttr and Horkn like this.
  9. Ron660

Ron660

They made a target model for the 513 also. My next 22lr, or 22mag..maybe 17HMR, will be a left-hand Cooper Jackson squirrel rifle.

10. RockyMtnHigh

RockyMtnHigh

You guys eat them, or is it just target shooting/pest removal? Very interesting

11. bassJAM

bassJAM

There's not much as tasty as a few young squirrels sitting in a crock pot all day!!

12. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

:chef: :drunk:Yep... !! :)

13. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I have my grandmothers remington sportster or target master or whatever it is. Will have to look at what model it is. Its an auto loader. Probably 40+ years oldish?

14. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I have a savage 17hmr but its very very messy!!. Decapitation s, whole sides of heads gone. And one time the squirrel was on a branch at an angle that I had to shot over lots back to hit the head. Shot a bit low and grazed the back before hitting either the neck or head. It unzipped him down his back ...everything was hanging out of him. I will use one of my 22 sometimes I use my bolt m1969 romanian trainer rifle with a 5shot clip. Cool rifle, google it up if you havent seen one.

15. Ron660

Ron660

Fresh fried squirrels taste almost as good as fresh venison backstrap. The larger, older ones, goes in a gravey. WOW they're good!

16. basod

basod

Started out with a Winchester 290. I'm pretty good with the iron sights, and I have Billy Bob to tree for me - natural born squirrel dog.
    Last year I switched up to a Ruger 22/45 target with a Simmons HG scope.

Gives me the best of both worlds when I sit up on the woodpile blind, deer walks by - .270 resting by my side, squirrels start bouncing all over the place - .22 handgun in my lap;)

17. bassJAM

bassJAM

We aren't allowed to carry multiple firearms into the woods in Ohio, unless one is strictly for concealed carry defense. Otherwise I'd always take my High Standard Double Nine .22 revolver into the woods with me loaded with CB Short's to take care of that stupid squirrel that always busts me on opening day of deer season and spends the next 2 hours barking at me!

18. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

We can't carry 2 deer rifles or a shotgun and rifle to hunt deer. I also think a muzzle loader and rifle is illegal. I think you can tote a gun and bow though.

Any licensed hunter or fisherman can carry to and from their hunting / fishing spot and while engaged in activity a sidearm. Can be concealed if you have a permit or open if not. But I think I can use a 22 to kill squirrels and a rifle for deer.

19. OhioStihl

OhioStihl

I carry three arrows with broad heads and two arrows with small game points. If your talking gun season, then yea, those squirrels can be a pain

20. RockyMtnHigh

RockyMtnHigh

Cool, I was just wondering if it was sport or game. I've never eaten squirrel but I've eaten some other game meats. Maybe I might try it one day.