In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Custom built smokers

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Stoveaclaus, Dec 22, 2019.

1. fuelrod

fuelrod

No, I've been going back and fourth (in my mind) with the design. One day I'm leaning going with the end of tank (round & smaller) , the next day I'm thinking of cutting it flat ways, much bigger and if I did that I'm going to make one side of the cooking grill removable to drop in a "flat top" or a disk for skillet type cooking. Then I'll get to thinking that it's a waste of my LP tank and the round bottom will be difficult to get a even coal bed from front to back for a bigger cook for more than just the 2 of us, that was the main reason behind this idea.:picard:
    My tank is what I think is called a 120 gallon, about 30"wide x 50" tall, a nice medium size for a smoker and perfect for one like stoveaclause , the OP . I'm not hurting for another cooker and have 4 different options now, so I'll wait until I decide what way to go.

2. fuelrod

fuelrod

This is a 10+ year old simple wood burning "grill" that Mrs. fuelrod has finally burnt out. There's been an awful lot of meat pass across the top of that rascal and it doesn't owe me a thing. I'm giving it a refresh and slight design change.
    I used 1/8 x 1 flat for the original cooking surface and decided to use a couple of cast grates from my "dump collection". Every time there's an old grill at the transfer station metal pile I check it for the grates. I've got quite a collection now and it will be nice to have them be removable so I did a lot of grinder surgery removing the old grate. There's a pic of how the grates flaked away to a point on the fire side.

Attached Files: