In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Culling out along the road cut trail

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by MAF143, Nov 24, 2021.

1. MAF143

MAF143

We were culling 4 acres across the front of the property and another 4 back along the north boundry on the other side of the creek. Most got girdled for now, cold storage kinda. These pix are from up near the front southwest corner of our woods.

Lots of Silver Maple in this part of the woods along with a few other species, but 90% of what got culled out was Silver Maple.

This is along the road cut trail. The state highway is just to the right of this trail that got widened out and is down in a cut as it comes down the hill to the corner of our property. A lot of it has already been skidded out to the processing area in the field below left over by our driveway.
    288 trail.jpg

Our driveway crosses the field through the pines and behind the brush pile off to the right, then up the hill through the woods.
    log pile.jpg

A bunch of cut wood is laying on the ground and I have to get it over onto the pallets SOON. Those logs were test cuts after I ported the neighbors Huskie 55 Rancher for him and also for the Huskie 357XP that I picked up. I ran a tank of gas through it to find out what issues it had so I can get it all fixed up and ported over the winter.
    skidded and Cut.jpg

2. Woodchucker

Woodchucker

That silver maple sure is easy splitting. Im working on about a cord and a half of it right now.

3. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Nice silver maple there. Its kinda weird seeing them so straight as its a very common yard tree around here and ive only scrounged it as such. Id love to score more but none on the radar.
    Hoard on and cut safe!

4. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Silver maple is one wood that doesn't get me antsy to get after. With wood on the ground like that, I'd definitely want to process it. Especially silver as I've had it get light on me rather quick. 357 should slice and dice like a Ginsu! Looks like fun. :thumbs:

5. buZZsaw BRAD

buZZsaw BRAD

Me neither, but im liking the fast drying time and it makes my wood bundles lighter too.

6. Reloader

Reloader

Good looking property and wood there. With that much acreage I would think there’s plenty of work in the future.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

Backwoods Savage, MAF143 and Slocum like this.