In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Crow season coming soon.

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by trail twister, Feb 4, 2018.

1. trail twister

trail twister

Back in the 1970's my brother and a couple of friends spent a lot of time hunting crows. Smart birds and we found hard to ambush them in a place more than once. We would then give up the shot guns and snipe them with our varmint rifles. Most all Chicken and other domestic bird recipes work.
    Not being ones to kill some thing and not eat ithere are some for Crow we found good.

SMOTHERED CROW

In a skillet, fry a clove of garlic in bacon fat. Remove. Roll bird in flour and season with salt and pepper. Place in a skillet, brown on both sides, cover and occasionally add a bit of water. Cook until tender. Season with H.P. Sauce or Worcestershire sauce.

CROW CASSEROLE

1/2 dozen crow breasts
    1 qt. sauerkraut
    1/2 dozen strips bacon
    1/3 c. chopped onion

In skillet brown the crow breasts, then place them on a 1 1/2" layer of sauerkraut in bottom of a casserole. Cover each piece of meat with a strip of bacon and sprinkle the onion over them. Cover the breast with another layer of sauerkraut and pour sauerkraut juice over it. Bake two hours in oven heated to 350 degrees.

HERB'S CROW HASH

4 or 5 crows
    1 (10 3/4 oz.) can chicken broth
    1/4 c. butter
    Salt & Pepper to taste
    Juice from 1/2 lemon
    8-12 oz. sliced mushrooms
    Flour
    1 bay leaf
    Rice or toast

THE MARINADE:

1 pt. vinegar
    1 pt. water
    3 cloves garlic, crushed
    1 tsp. salt
    1/2 tsp. black pepper

Skin the crows. Cut away any fat. Cut bird in half. Mix marinade. Pour over crow in glass container for 24 hours in refrigerator. Discard marinade. Boil crow in a pot with water, 1 bay leaf. Remove meat from bone, slicing it against the grain. In a large fry pan heat butter, mushrooms and add chicken broth, lemon juice, salt and pepper to taste. Simmer for 20 minutes. Thicken with flour. Serve over rice.

:D Al

Chaz and brenndatomu like this.
  2. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I have kin in Texas. They eat crow(the literal kind) all the time. I have never eaten it but I'll try most any thing once. Don't really see why it would be any different from other wild birds.
    There was a game warden up here in WA State who confronted a man shooting seagulls and stuffing them in a sack. The man professed to being an out-of work logger with a large family so the warden let him off with a warning. As the logger was leaving, the warden asked "I'm curious, exactly how does seagull taste"? The logger replied "Kinda halfway between spotted owl and bald eagle"!

T.Jeff Veal, Midwinter, Chaz and 3 others like this.
  3. Mwalsh9152

Mwalsh9152

You're murdering murders of crows?

4. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Yes, smothering them apparently. I always thought that rather than calling a group of crows a "murder", they should be called a "Caucus of crows"!

5. Midwinter

Midwinter

6. RCBS

RCBS

I find myself eating crow occasionally. I do not have to kill any birds to do so.... :rofl: :lol:

7. clay shooter

clay shooter

we shoot crows all year here,i was in the woods in may when the young were about,on the branches.thats when we shoot them i hit 84, and then went in the fields and shot another 74 when they were after the mazie that was just planted.i could never eat one.

metalcuttr likes this.
  8. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

("I could never eat one") QUOTE This is probably a good policy if you live near a sewage treatment facility or land fill!

9. Midwinter

Midwinter