In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Crosscut saws

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Deer Meadow Farm, Dec 5, 2016.

1. Deer Meadow Farm

Deer Meadow Farm

I picked up a couple of crosscut saws for $40. One is missing a handle. I was trying to come up with some idea of what to do with them.... wall hanging? Have it painted? Any ideas?
    001.JPG

2. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I bought a few myself a few weeks back when I went to the Outlaws (inlaws I mean) in New Hampshire for Thanksgiving. Ultimately I will fix them up, paint them and probably sell them. I got one off my own farm which I did that too, and hung it up on our porch which for us looks appropriate (a sheep farm and tree farm).

A lot of people who have camps enjoy the look of old cross cut saws, as do log home or timber frame home owners.

Here is mine, hanging on our porch. (Not sure why, but it looks like they broke every raker off deliberately. Also, I think this was for 2 man bucking of hardwood trees and not felling softwoods like yours. I noticed a few of your rakers were broken too. Those old loggers must have been as hard on their saws as they were on themselves).

DSCN3950.JPG

3. 460magpro

460magpro

I was at a auction in the spring and the Amish were buying them they a probably going to put them back to work

4. chris

chris

Ah, " Misery Whips"

5. buckman84

buckman84

I have a friend that makes hanging chandeliers out of crosscut saws, looks really cool.

6. Sideshow

Sideshow

Very nice. My 2 cents and probably wrong forum...put it up . I put up some relics after my grandfather passed...crosscut saw, wooden barn shovel and in the right corner soapstone buggie/bed warmer (coolest piece in my mind) Quick don't know what u got - my dad had it in trash (this was year ago not 1970) - I grabbed it not knowing what it was but it was weathered and old - looked it up and saw that it didn't have ton of value but was one of those pieces of life from early 1900's- its not about value but connection to the past... . No one in my family has wood stove other than me and although older and wiser aren't feeling in.......found crosscut saw for $45 and added it. love the above posts - don't damage patina of your saw but display is with pride. I told my 6 yr old that ill take it down and we will cut something with it when she is strong enough. sorry for ramble an thanks for reading guys. if I had to explain more u wouldn't understand

Attached Files:

7. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Here's my fil's crosscut from his dad. Also his dads old hay saw. Very nice to show and great convo pieces. The saws about a 6'-er[​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

8. Oldman47

Oldman47

When I was a teen I spent some time on the end of a misery whip with dad on the other end. I never need to see another one in person. I like my Husky 555 for that kind of work.

9. Thor

Thor

I really like your walls. Did you mill the wood yourself?

10. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Wish I could say I did, but I bought the house basically move in ready. This is the "Man Cave" where my 1003c is at. Wall boards were most likely milled by a local small milll that operates part time with two guys as their hobby. I really want to visit and get in with them sometime.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

11. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

A few years ago a friend of the family retired from his carpentry business so I built him a Dovetail Saw. It was all from scratch, tig welded together, then polished since it was 316L Stainless Steel. Anyway after I set the kerf on the saw, I test cut a piece of aromatic cedar, then glued the cedar to the back of the cabinet. I then screwed a stainless chain to the back of the cabinet, and to a block of wood with sandpaper on it.

The idea was simple, that was the first cut the saw ever made forever inside the glass and red felt case. But anytime he wants, he can open up the case, take the sand paper block on the chain, rub that test cut piece of wood, and make his house smell like fresh cut cedar. I thought that was a cool touch for a saw, and so I pass it on here in case someone wants to use the idea.

(The stainless chain was just so that the sanding block never was lost)

12. Midwinter

Midwinter

I'm getting psyched. See that handle poking out? Free on Craigslist, no guarantee it will be there when I get to it. 00i0i_hPqwfInC1Cv_600x450.jpg 00i0i_hPqwfInC1Cv_600x450.jpg

13. Midwinter

Midwinter

Rusty gold, how did I do walt? Free! IMG_20190525_44664.jpg IMG_20190525_51978.jpg

14. walt

walt

15. Midwinter

Midwinter

We have a wire brush that goes on a drill, I will try it out on the rust on the saws. The handle on the sledge is still nice and tight inside the head. I will oil the wooden parts too.

metalcuttr, farmer steve and walt like this.
  16. unclefess

unclefess Guest

vinegar will help with the rust ,be careful with the drill /wire wheel they can be very aggressive and cause more trouble then help ,you mentioned you want to use one of these for display so you dont want to strip or scratch them ,a brass wire brush and scotchbrite pads may be enough

17. Midwinter

Midwinter

Good advice, I'll try white vinegar and scotchbrite first.

18. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

I have a painted one that I deersaw.jpg picked up years ago. We just love it. So many times I have seen a deer in the grown over clear cuts like that! By all means, display them painted or not. A testament to a bygone era!

19. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Chaz and Midwinter like this.
  20. Midwinter

Midwinter

I haven't done anything with them yet, too busy with other stuff.

Chaz likes this.