In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Craftsman radial arm saw repair

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by mattjm1017, Jun 27, 2014.

1. mattjm1017

mattjm1017

I picked up an old craftsman radial arm saw not to long ago for free because it doesnt work. Its pretty heavy duty and the best I can figure its from the late 60s early 70s. When I plug it in the motor makes a noise almost like its locked but if I spin the blade around it will start to turn very slowly and then trip reset button on top of the saw. I can reset it and keep doing this but it never gets any better. I have tried to take it apart and clean it up so far Ive gotten the switch apart and it looks good now Im trying to figure out how to get into the motor. Im having trouble finding any kind of repair kits or replacement parts online does anybody know about troubleshooting and repairing small motors like this?

2. My IS heats my home

My IS heats my home

Those are some dangerous saws.....seen some bad accidents resulting from wicked kickbacks

clemsonfor likes this.
  3. eatonpcat

eatonpcat

I think they have a $100.00 recall they will give you to take those older saws out of use.

clemsonfor likes this.
  4. HDRock

HDRock

You got any pics?
    The bearings on those get gummed up, sometimes you can take it apart and clean em up if the motor is had a lot of use it's best to replace the two bearings, maybe 20 bucks for both
    the bearings fit tight in the end of the motor housings so you have to do some persuasion to get it apart
    as far as being dangerous they are not really, when used for crosscutting, set up properly, operated properly with a proper blade, as long as you don't plan on doing any ripping with it, you shouldn't have any worries.
    Never once had a kickback on either one of my radial arm saws crosscutting.
    Including my 1957 Dewalt
    [​IMG]

Last edited: Jun 27, 2014
    Shawn Curry and mattjm1017 like this.
  5. mattjm1017

mattjm1017

Ill try to get some up tomorrow when I take it back out I had to put it back in the shed real quick because of rain. Its a model 113.29460 though if that helps with anything.

6. HDRock

HDRock

I don't want you to get the impression that I am an expert or anything.
    I managed take apart 1, radial arm saw motor, replace the bearings and get it put back together right, ruined one of the new bearings had to buy another one. The bearings on mine were press fit onto the shafts. What kind of bearings you may have in that motor I don't know.
    There Maybe someone else on here that knows more about it than I do.
    If I were you I would call up a motor repair shop tell him what you got, and ask how much it would cost to have it taken apart and put new bearings in it, I don't think it would be that much but hey I don't know, if they want some crazy amount of money to fix it, then tackle it yourself, doesn't cost anything call and ask.

mattjm1017 likes this.
  7. nate

nate Banned

The recall info mendtioned made my wonder so I googlefud it.

http://www.radialarmsawrecall.com/

Really?!

How about don't put your freaking hands in the way!

I used the heck out of my Dad's saw while I was growing up. Very handy tool. I used it more than a table saw.

thistle, billb3 and HDRock like this.
  8. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Yes put up pics please I regularly tear apart electric motors and fix them for my job. We also use radial arms saws on a daily basis. Yes they can be dangerous but not when used properly. In fact I have a craftsman in my ras in my shed as we speak. It may be the same as yours given the age.

thistle, mattjm1017 and HDRock like this.
  9. billb3

billb3

Didn't realizze that buy back program was still going.
    Mine's been used in storage as a shelf for the last 10 years.
    I'll have to check see if it is 10 or 12 inch
    I bought it used from a guy that made custom instrument cases that closed his shop in '77/'78
    Crosscut a lot of trim boards that I'd use the sliding miter saw for today.
    Never liked it much for ripping .

10. lukem

lukem

From what you describe, you're getting power to the motor, so the switch is probably fine. If the armature spins freely your bearing are probably OK. I'm guessing you need a new set of motor brushes...they are probably shorting rather than turning the motor and that's what's tripping your reset. This is just a SWAG though...could be something else.

clemsonfor and mattjm1017 like this.
  11. mattjm1017

mattjm1017

Alright finally here are some pics of the saw in question.

IMAG0665.jpg IMAG0666.jpg IMAG0667.jpg IMAG0668.jpg IMAG0671.jpg

12. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Well I don't see a hand brake anywhere on it. Take the hood and plastic covers off of the motor in the front and back should be a bearing. When they dry out they dry out bad and stop moving. You can look at it and even feel how dry they are when you spin the shaft. If they aren't bad then check the motor relay and capacitors. This can be done by a shop if you take the motor in to them...

13. HDRock

HDRock

Last edited: Jul 2, 2014
  14. savemoney

savemoney

My Dad built three houses using an 8 in Dewalt. He bought it back late 50's or early 60's and it is still going strong today. I have a 10 Craftman's Radial arm saw I bought back in the 80's and to be honest in looks and runs almost new. I had that long before I got my table saw. Later in life, I took a wood working class at the Vocational school because I wanted to learn the use of the table saw. I have them both in my shop right with my other saws, all in very good condition. Hard to believe how much new blades cost these days. Don't use junk blades. That is where a lot of problems come from.

thistle and HDRock like this.
  15. Pallet Pete

Pallet Pete Moderator

Of and to remove the motor there is 4 bolts on the front and there should be 1 on the back in the center if it's like mine.

16. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Used one of those in the wood shop in college. I was thinking slide miter till someone referenced a slide miter in a post then I saw the pics and realized what y'all were talking about.

17. lukem

lukem

+1. I run Freud blades in everything. They are expensive but a joy to use.

Pallet Pete and savemoney like this.
  18. HDRock

HDRock

Freud blades are very good for there low price,I run one on my sliding miter saw, Diablo blades are a great low cost choice, if you want the real deal, get a Forrest blade, I run Forrest blades on my TS and both radial arm saws, you will never regret spending a hundred bucks on a Forrest blade , really

Shawn Curry likes this.
  19. lukem

lukem

I use the Freud industrial series and they do everything I want them to. I have one on the miter saw, one one the table saw, and one for my circular saw for breaking down sheet stock.

I have a cheapo harbor freight blade that I'll put on the TS when I'm running some questionable lumber. I can't get over how loud it is compared the the good blades.

Last edited: Jul 3, 2014
    clemsonfor likes this.
  20. HDRock

HDRock

Freud blades will get the job done at a reasonable cost