In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cost per square foot

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by thewoodlands, Jan 11, 2018.

1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We want a detached garage built before this fall so I was just wondering what the cost per square foot is in your area.

We're thinking about a 24 feet wide by 26 feet deep for a total of 624 sq. feet.

If you could, give us a cost per square foot for a contractor doing it.

Roof - we're thinking metal
    Slab foundation
    Power will have to be run to it
    The siding we're not sure yet
    A single garage door in the front & back of the garage
    A man door on the side of the garage
    We'll be putting up either sheet rock or plywood on the inside
    Once we contact the contractor, I'll see if they let me do any of the backhoe work to save some money.

Thanks

Horkn, papadave and wildwest like this.
  2. shack

shack

I just built a house and garage last year. With out knowing more information it really isn't possible to give a good estimate IMO. Things like framing: 2x4, 2x6, 16 OC, 24 OC, 8-10-12 walls, single or double garage doors, insulated or uninsulated garage doors, number of windows, insulation, type of slab/foundation, site prep, building codes, roof rated for snow load in your area, quality of materials you use. Just so many variables that it makes it hard to give good estimate. I am fortunate to have a top quality lumber yard that supplied about all of my building materials that were much better than Home Depot or Lowes (plus my lumber yard is family owned!) I put in a R15 garage door and that cost more that a regular Big Box store steel door. Everything adds up quicker than you like when you spend money on a building. Good luck!!

Horkn, eatonpcat, RCBS and 2 others like this.
  3. TurboDiesel

TurboDiesel

Slab on grade...you're talking pole building?
    My buddy had an Amish outfit build a 30x40 for less than 16,000.

The overhead doors were uninsulated and the trusses were 4' centers, which I didn't like.

I built a 2500 square ft block garage and have about 80,000 in it without the floor and I wish I'd have built a pole building mostly to give space for insulation.

Horkn and thewoodlands like this.
  4. ironpony

ironpony

Around here pole buildings are running 15-20 per sq ft. A 30x40x9 with concrete floor will price out at 20-25,000. If you want true foundation with framed walls the price will go up rapidly. Just contact a few in your area with dimensions and they will give you a price they are usually fairly close when in the same area.

Horkn, thewoodlands and papadave like this.
  5. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

I built a 12 x 20 garage for the school I work at last summer. Materials and concrete work were right around $8000 total. Me and my right hand man built it in 5 days so if I had bid it for a side job, it’d been close to $12K. That was footings, slab with bar, all framing, vinyl siding, wrapped eves, roofing, and sidewalks with approach. I had a walk door and single garage door on hand.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Horkn, TurboDiesel and thewoodlands like this.
  6. Matt Fine

Matt Fine

I built a small pole barn (large garage) about 5-6 years ago. Only a fraction of the costs scaled by square foot and features you decide on are more important.

There was little difference to go from say 24x48 to 32x48 as far as the building, but there was a big jump to go from trusses 4’ on center to 2’. The cost of the concrete floor on the other hand was pretty much a straight function of sqft and thickness.

I paid extra for the 2’ trusses, higher designed weight load in the loft area and higher than required snow load, higher pitch roof, insulated overhead doors, insulation under the concrete, and thicker concrete. Those choices probably came close to doubling the cost. Total cost including ground prep through concrete came out in the 60’s for 32x48x12 with a 17x48 loft.

Horkn, TurboDiesel and thewoodlands like this.
  7. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

thewoodlands first comment would be reconsider the depth. I truly believe 26 ft deep is not enough assuming you have a truck and you want to be able to walk around it. 30 would be a minimum for depth, you probably want to check out Sr Sloan at BBS the do panelized construction buddy put up 30 by 40 with stairs and bonus room above, who doesn't need more storage, to under 30k.

8. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We had a construction company do some work a few years ago and were happy with the work so we'll be emailing or calling them first. We'll be getting rid of two of our monthly payments very soon :thumbs: and we don't have a payment on the tractor or equipment that came with it so we'll get a detached garage for the toys so our attached garage will be just for the car and truck.

9. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We just contacted the contractor we used before for some stuff so today we'll get more specifics on what we want and then email that to him for a estimate.

He didn't have a problem with me doing the digging. He said usually it would takes 3 or 4 weeks to finish the garage.

10. Blstr88

Blstr88

Had this 16x28 barn put up this summer. It's 16x28 with a 10x28 lean-to for a total footprint of 26x28.

Slab was $3200, entire barn (including roof, doors, etc...everything) was $8000 for a total of $11,200.

PS: theres a second overhead door opposite the one in the pic, 3 Windows on the back wall and an 8' loft

Attached Files:

11. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We had emailed the info we had to a contractor tonight for this size detached garage. 28 FT W X 36 FT Deep with a 10 FT W Lean-to on left side . We want a metal roof with the same siding we have on the house.

We thought that we would get a price with two garage doors (18 ft. W X 10 ft. H) one in the front and one in the back so we could drive out or in the back from the new trail I'll make.

12. JustWood

JustWood Guest

IIRC Carterlumber.com has a calculator for materials only .

13. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Thanks JustWood.

Horkn likes this.
  14. JustWood

JustWood Guest

Horkn and mdavlee like this.
  15. bogieb

bogieb

That seems like a great price. Please PM me on where you are in NH and the contractor you used.

Horkn likes this.
  16. yooperdave

yooperdave

I had a double wide garage built. Shingles, vinyl siding, aluminum soffit/eaves, 1' overhang on gables/2' overhang on eaves, two insulated 36" service doors, 16X8 insulated garage door, 4 windows (4'X3'). The slab was poured so as to have a 12' flat floored workshop on one end and then the rest of the floor pitched to a 4" drain in the center of the garage.

I did all the wiring, elec service, insulating, partition wall and french door to workshop, indoor finishing (osb with paint-walls and ceiling), installed nc-30 including venting (class A).

the garage is conventional built 2X4 with 7/16 walls and 5/8" roof. I had checked into a pole type building since the belief is that they are less expensive but could not find one anywhere near the price I paid for this. The nice thing about doing the inside work myself is that I could do it once I had bought the supplies and did not have to worry about a time frame.

If interested about what I paid for the slab with a raised curb built into it and what I paid for the garage construction, PM me.

17. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

X2

Horkn and bogieb like this.
  18. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

This is the size we'll be getting a quote on, 28 FT W X 36 FT Deep with a 10 FT W Lean-to on left side. We also want two garage doors, 18 feet W x 10 feet H in the front and back of the garage so we can drive in and then out the back through the woods if we want.

Hopefully we have a quote before the end of January, if we like the price then we want him to come here so he can look at the location we think we want it, if he says it's ok then we can start felling some trees.

I guess it's illegal to put a floor drain in a garage in New York State because people were pouring oil down it. I'll check that with the local code enforcement officer even.

Last edited: Jan 18, 2018
  19. Matt Fine

Matt Fine

Yep, I was told absolutely no floor drain no matter what I called the building. Technically, mine is a barn because the town zoning guys wouldn’t approve a garage that big. “That’s way too big for a garage, but it would be a small barn.” “Oh, did I say garage, I meant to say I would like to build a barn.” “Sure, just make it red and put some cross bucks on it.” “Yes sir!”

20. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

And you can put drains in a barn... plus woodstove much harder in garage also

Horkn, milleo and bogieb like this.