In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cord retention hook on electric chainsaws?

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Easy Livin' 3000, Dec 11, 2019.

1. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

Can't figure out for the life of me what the hook is for on my electric chainsaws. My google searches led me to believe it's called a cord retention hook, but the cords are only a foot long, and if I were to keep the extension cord with it during storage, I'd need another point on the saw to wrap it around.

What is it really for? How is it supposed to be used?

IMG_20191211_091111144.jpg

dingbat and eatonpcat like this.
  2. triptester

triptester

They are to retain the extension cord. A small loop on the female end of the extension cord is passed up thru the hole in the saw and placed over the hook. The saw cord is then plugged into the extension cord.

dingbat, huskihl, wildwest and 2 others like this.
  3. ironpony

ironpony

Extension cord? chainsaw? is this some sort of new electric start system.

I think trip tester nailed it

4. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

My 12 gauge extension cord won't go through either the hole in the handle, nor under the hook, as I played around with it to try out your description. But I think I understand, and appreciate your response, it'd probably work with a 16 gauge cord.

dingbat and huskihl like this.
  5. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

I love my electric chainsaws. They never have carb issues, no mixing oil and gas, no spilled or old gas, I don't smell when I'm done (well, not like oil and gas smoke, anyway). And, they are remarkably powerful. On the downside, they are slower, have cords, and are lower quality built.

I recently had to replace the fuel line on my larger gas husky, and need to do the same on my smaller echo. What a hassle.

dingbat likes this.
  6. ironpony

ironpony

sounds like you need a battery powered one. I agree with you insert battery pack and cut. I like my battery hedge trimmers and will be adding a weed walker and chainsaw this year.

dingbat and Easy Livin' 3000 like this.
  7. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

x2, it secures the extension cord to saw so your not pulling on the saw cord.

dingbat and Easy Livin' 3000 like this.
  8. triptester

triptester

Pic of cord retainer usually only fits lighter cords.

IMG_1201.JPG

9. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

Thank you! This picture is exactly what I was looking for. I've been using a 12 gauge cord, but doubt that it's necessary. You solved my mystery.

dingbat likes this.
  10. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

Totally agree. I have a battery powered hedge trimmer and weed whacker with two batteries, and love them (Ryobi 18v).

The chainsaw requires more power, and I intend to get a battery powered unit, but not until the prices come down more. I hope that the manufacturers step up the quality of the battery saws. Still too much disposable quality to them. Which I can live with, on the hedge trimmer and weed whacker. Not on the chainsaw at current price points. I bet they will be at least 25% cheaper, maybe 50%, this time next year.

dingbat likes this.
  11. saewoody

saewoody

I have the 40V Ryobi units; weed walker and leaf blower. The weed walker is great. I’ve had it for 3 lawn seasons I think. The leaf blower for 2. It’s not super powerful but it’s on par with any hand held unit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

dingbat likes this.
  12. dingbat

dingbat

I bet it'd fit if you strip all the insulation off the last foot or so..... :p:D