In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Computer question

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Backwoods Savage, Oct 18, 2013.

1. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Suddenly I have this process going with dllhost.exe

It will start out using not too much memory but then suddenly it will begin to use more and more every second and will soon run out of RAM. When I end the process, it will sometimes start right back up. Other times it doesn't. This just started in the last few days. Nothing has shown up with Norton or Malware bytes and the computer seems to run fine once I stop the thing. Just wondering if someone has an idea.

I tend to think it is perhaps my email program, Incredimail but am not sure yet.

2. 343amc

343amc

Dllhost is one of those windows system files that can at times get hijacked by malware or a virus. I've had good luck using trend micro house call (housecall.trendmicro.com) for cleaning stuff that others can't find.

Does the date on dllhost.exe show it was recently changed? If so another option is using windows system restore to roll your pc back a couple days. Sometimes that works, sometimes not.

3. chris

chris

Maleware bytes, CC Cleaner, MS own antiviral system . Run them at least twice in a row.

4. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

I keep getting jucheck.exe on both computers I. Don't let it run when I get a pop up from MS system. I have read its a Microsoft thing bit its suspicious as it all of a sudden started?

5. chris

chris

jucheck.exe= java auto run update

6. Backwoods Savage

I believe I have found the culprit and that is a video. I have tried to rename it. I have tried to delete it. In both instances, it will cause Explorer to quit working and the only way I've been able to get it back is to reboot. So how do I get rid of this video file if I can't delete it?

7. chris

chris

Can you use explorer to get a list of all the programs, then find it on there, and use end program, then maybe find it on add/delete non micro soft programs and delete it there, you would have to be listed as the administrator. problem is it might be self replicating, hard to to tell, might be attached to several other files that open and run at boot of operating system. Ya need to know the file name and extensions to due this. But maybe you are beyond this already. Have you run any malware programs? here are a couple more to run - Spybot, adaware

8. Backwoods Savage

It does appear to be self-replicating. I end the process and it immediately starts again. However, if I end it about 3 times in a row, it stops.

I'll keep working on it. I did notice there are 4 copies of dllhost.exe. No doubt from different programs but I could be wrong.

I have run malwarebytes 3 times. I have the pro version. Also have Norton for virus protection. I have had adaware in the past along with several others. Used to have trendmicro but don't have that now.

I might add that I got this video by copying it using downloadhelper which is an add-on for Firefox. Never had that problem before this though but this copy also was not from youtube. Perhaps that is where I went wrong. Still, it would seem that deleting it, renaming it or even moving it would not be a problem.

9. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

What's the video so none of us get it. Cat playing a piano?