In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

composite handle vibration

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by JW IN VA, Sep 25, 2020.

1. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

For those who use Fiskars or Husqvarna axes or mauls,do you find any difference in the vibration transferred to your arms or joints?
    I've always liked traditional things such as hickory handles but with some arthritis or something starting in my shoulders,I'm wondering if they'd work better.
    The one time I tried someone's Fiskars Super Splitting axe,I don't remember that.Just remember being not impressed with it's splitting ability in Sugar Maple.May have just been a bad test.
    I really don't want to give up splitting by hand.It's a good workout and a satisfying job.I have a hydraulic splitter for the tractor but lifting bigger blocks and holding them is more trouble than hand splitting,IMO.

2. fishingpol

fishingpol

I used to hand split with a mail with a wood handle. Tendonitis got bad and I bought the Fiskars x27. It was a big difference for me with much less vibration. The Fiskars is very sharp and that made a big difference. I eventually went hydraulic though as I had a lot to process and tendonitis did not quite resolve.

3. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I sense no vibration or "shoulder shock", when using, my x27.

JW IN VA and M2theB like this.
  4. Dakota Hoarder

Dakota Hoarder

Much less vibration to wrists and arms using Fiskars spitting Axe and IsoCore Compared to my wood handle maul.

hand splitting a lot with any tool is going to be hard on the Joints after awhile.

JW IN VA likes this.
  5. i have 3 different types i use 1 is a 8lb maul from walmart i got the other is an 8lb trupper maul and the last is a 3lb double bit axe with a thin fiber glass handle and currently the only 1 outta the three that i get any vibrations from is the double bitted axe most of the time the vibrations are ok in it but every once in a while it kinda jars me a good bit up to my elbows