In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Come along winch

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by Easy Livin' 3000, Jan 23, 2020.

1. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

Looking at getting a come along to help pull some trees in the right direction.

Having used one, only once, I know that this is not something that I want to fail on me.

Seems like most are now cheap imported junk, and the heavier duty models are hundreds of $$$.

Any guidance on a quality product without breaking the bank would be appreciated.

2. jtstromsburg

jtstromsburg

Having a hard time with sharing a link buts here’s a couple amazon screenshots. I have a cable puller and then a few chunks of rope to reach what’s needed but I think I’ll grab one of these sometime as it’s be much better I think

[​IMG][​IMG]

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

3. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

These rope pulling come alongs look pretty cool. I'm always amazed at how expensive rope is.

Screwloose, Chaz, metalcuttr and 2 others like this.
  4. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

I have a rope puller. Only limit is how long your bull rope is. No need to re-rig, as you might do with a cabled come along.

I bought the combo offered by TreeStuff. Rope puller, anchor strap, and length of rope. I got 150' ft. Highly recommend this combo. Maasdam Rope Puller Kit

Over time, I picked up a 2nd length of rope - 50ft. Sometimes, I just don't need to be dealing with the longer piece.

Screwloose, mike bayerl, Chaz and 4 others like this.
  5. motoguy

motoguy

I purchased the same kit. Don't remember if I went with 150' or 200'. I've only used it a couple of times, but it worked well. I have 4 trees I'll be taking down soon, which will require the rope puller. As mentioned, it's nice that you can "slide" along the rope, and don't require resetting. The loop strap makes things much easier as well. With snatch blocks/pulleys, you can even pull in a direction away from you, which is nice.

6. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

I wasn't even thinking this way, but I've watched a couple of videos, and it's definitely the way to go. More than I was hoping to spend, with the rope, but on the other hand I've needed a good long rope for a long time.

Now, I just need to decide if I need 150' or 200'...

7. motoguy

motoguy

May as well get the 200'. The 150 is already bulky enough that you'll not notice the extra 50'. That extra 50' of reach may come in handy sometime, though!

8. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

150 has been sufficient for my use.

Then, you'd be wanting to get a rope bag!

9. MikeInMa

MikeInMa

Getting a decent snatch block is on my list. I'd probably then want to get another loop strap.

10. Easy Livin' 3000

Easy Livin' 3000

One of my objectives for the long rope is to get a bunch of wood down a steep slope in the back yard. Many cords at the top, have already brought down about 5 cords, by hand, with a fat wheeled hand truck. Good exercise, but, I'd rather stop before I take a nasty spill and hurt myself. And it's very s l o w.

I strung a cheap 100' rope down to see where I landed from my anchor points, and I was pretty short. I'll have to tie a 50' piece on, and see where that gets me. If it gets me to the flat landing spot on the hill, I'll go with 150. If not, then 200.

Screwloose, Chaz and eatonpcat like this.
  11. Joseph Valenti

Joseph Valenti

These do look like nice pullers for this use.

Sounds like me , my wife often tells me I remind her of the children’s book, “If You Give a mouse a Cookie”.

If you offer Joe a trailer he’ll try to get free wood, if he is getting so much wood, he’ll need a better saw, if the saw increases productivity, he’ll need a splitter to split it all, if he splits it all he’ll need a bigger trailer, etc.

The wood is not quite free anymore, but tools and skills breed self reliance.

Boogeyman, Screwloose and Chaz like this.
  12. Chaz

Chaz

Easy Livin' 3000
    I've got a 2T come a long.. and it works well

But.. I would advise on the masdam system

It's easy to set, and you're not limited to cable length. It gets frustrating if you set up the come-a-long, then run out of cable, and have to reset the system.
    :headbang::headbang::headbang:

BTDT
    :confused:

Boogeyman, imwiley1, MikeInMa and 2 others like this.
  13. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

I too picked up this rope/puller combo. I use a sling to attach to tree/anchor Lift-All Tuflex EN60 Roundsling. I good snatch block is super helpful to get yourself out of the direct line of fall, but not absolutely necessary if you get enough rope. It is super convenient to have one longer and one shorter piece of rope. It is expensive, but I use it ALL the time.

Chaz, Boogeyman, imwiley1 and 2 others like this.
  14. MAF143

MAF143

I have one of the Maasdam rope pullers also. It has worked very well for me. The rope seems expensive if you're used to seeing the $10 bundles at the local stores, but read the fine print. They are usually pretty wimpy. A good bull rope for pulling trees or even nudging them in the right direction is pretty important if you do much tree work. I only do stuff on my property and help out some friends and family, but I want a serious rope that I can put on the truck and seriously put some pull on whatever I'm dropping. I've used the cheapo rope before and had it snap at the worst times... Good working rope is well worth the extra money if you need it to do serious work. You only have to buy it once and take care of it like any other good tool.

Safety first.