In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cold Smoked Salmon Recipe and Apple Sawdust.

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Marshel54, Aug 26, 2019.

1. Marshel54

Marshel54

I am going to cut down an apple tree. Could I use the saw chips for smoking? What about the branch wood that is pretty fresh? Tree died this summer.
    I have a good smoked salmon recipe, but want to make something like Lox. Any idea. From what I have researched lox are cold smoked. Have to use up my Alaskan salmon.

2. Buzz Benton

Buzz Benton

Apple chips makes fine smokerwood. Why hasn't someone chimed in on this sooner? When I was on Kodiak Island we had no apple - and barely had any alder for the smoker. The true trick was indeed cold smoke. We smoked some 400 at a time in a smoker I built. That was 1984. We had an Inuit friend who said it did not matter how much salt was in the brine or how long the fish were in the brine - all that mattered was how well rinsed and dried they were before smoking.

They also made something called "Squaw candy" and it was the best stuff I ever had. It is smoked salmon canned in brown sugar syrup. Oh my - just thinking about that brings back some memories.

That's me with a 140 pound Pacific Halibut. We did not smoke them.
    [​IMG]

3. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

I hot smoke salmon with Apple, never tried cold smoking.