In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Coconut charcoal

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Creekin, Nov 10, 2018.

1. Creekin

Creekin

Anyone here use coconut charcoal when grilling? Friend had some and thought kinda interesting

2. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Nevah heard of this thing....
    Describe/link....

Chaz likes this.
  3. Creekin

Creekin

From what I gather its crushed up coconut husks that have been made into charcoal and pressed into a blockish shape, don't have a link to anything, he picked it up at a specialty bbq store awhile ago
    Grilled up some burgers and seemed edible, had never heard of it just the kingsford stuff

4. g60gti

g60gti

Lowe’s had bags of it on blowout a couple years ago. Think they were 18 pound bags for like 2 bucks, Must of not been a big seller. At the time I had a few chicken cooking gigs so I bought out what they had on hand, think it was about 30 bags. I found it to burn slightly hotter than regular briquettes, didn’t really notice if they burned any longer than regular. They imparted absolutely no flavor into the food though which I guess could be a good or bad thing depending on who you ask. Not sure how much they cost regularly but I probably wouldn’t buy them again unless I got a deal like that. Still have a few bags up in the rafters of the garage.
    34A3AAAD-8C3D-413A-BD1F-3CDE4AE0A9D6.jpeg