In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cobble heavy or buy actual?

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by Greenstick, Jan 29, 2022.

1. Greenstick

Greenstick

Carrington North Dakota-aka-Dakotah Territory
    Anyone done either? Got the bug but haven't seen one in person and am wondering how bad it would be if I gain 2 lbs and a sawed off 18" handle, and cut off a wood handled 6 lb maul I was given instead of buying a Estwing Fireside Friend. Or. Is that Fireside Friend that good, balanced, and solid steel tip to toe better for a kindling maker?

Eric VW likes this.
  2. Paul bunion

Paul bunion

I think you’ll be much better off with the Estwing hammer. It should be well balanced.

I think a 6 pound head on an 18” handle will be rather unwieldy to use and your accuracy would be pretty poor. I’ve swung a lot of different single handed hammers doing stone work and 4 pound ones can get rather tiring to swing.

And maybe even a lighter head. Especially for kindling which I assume you are fine splitting out of small rounds or wood that has been split already.

Last edited: Jan 29, 2022
    Mag Craft and Greenstick like this.
  3. Cold Trigger Finger

Cold Trigger Finger

I was very unimpressed with the Estwing kindling maul for splitting.
    I got one for my wife, she didn't take to it. I used it some and was not at all impressed.
    Ended up mostly using it as a hammer to beat on stuff. Now I don't know where it disappeared to.
    I just keep a 5 lb rafting ax with a 24" handle by the stove chopping block now. I seldom use it . But I like having a 5 lb rafting ax handy.

Greenstick likes this.