In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Chipotle Peppers

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Daryl, Oct 12, 2013.

1. Daryl

Daryl

Is there an easy way to smoke dry peppers? Could they be grilled and then dehydrated?

2. Mr A

Mr A

Authentic Chipotle is a red ripe jalapeno pepper cold smoked with pecan wood, to look like cigars. It is very hard to find and expensive. My local Winco sells chipotle chili powder for $11+ a pound. Jalapenos Are Easy to grow in the garden. Canned chipotles are readily available. Canned come with the adobo sauce, it is a good sauce but fresh ground peppers can't be beat.

Last edited: Oct 13, 2013
    StihlHead likes this.
  3. Daryl

Daryl

A friend instructed me to smoke the jalapenos for a long time and then dehydrate them. It is going to be awesome to have some on hand.

There are a couple reasons for why I want to learn how to do this. First, I eat a lot of Mexican cuisine styled meals. I've been jaded by a friend, who is a excellent cook, towards anything canned when it comes to Mexican food. I'm always cooking fresh. Second, chipotles are so darn good. I grow my own veggies so this seems like a great way to be more self-sufficient. Third, the cost. You are right. The peppers are super expensive.

4. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

I thought some one had started the thread for me in anticipation. I am working on some right one, but I can them I adobo sauce. We'll going to go start that thread now...

5. Mr A

Mr A

I've grown jalapenos in the garden. They are a hardy plant and produce through late fall. Some live through winter and produce again in spring. Let them ripen on the vine. Dig two holes a few feet apart.connect them with a trench. lay a pipe in the trench, cover. build a smoky fire in one hole, use the other as a smoke chamber. That's how the Mexicans do it. Something tasty? try this, it's pretty good on chicken and pork. I smoke the meat on almond but pecan or apple would probably be good also.
    1-3 T. brown sugar
    1-2 T. unsweetened cocoa powder
    1 T. chili powder, ground chipotle is best
    1 t. granulated garlic
    1 t onion powder
    1/2 t. cumin
    1 t. cinnamon
    1/2 t. salt
    1 pinch cayenne
    This rub also makes an awesome pot of hoppin john black eyed peas, substitute the brown sugar with molasses. theres an idea. use molasses in the rub instead of brown sugar and make a wet rub. I didn't brine my pork loin, next time I will.

6. Daryl

Daryl

Glad you jumped on this thread, Mr. A. Your recipe sounds like a mole mix. Is that correct?

I was reading an article in Mother Earth News about how to bury the peppers and cook them. Winter is coming on quick so I am looking for an easy fix. I will take my friend's suggestion to smoke the peppers and dehydrate them. He does that a lot so I trust him. It will be close enough to the original for now.

7. Mr A

Mr A

Mole is not the intention, it is a rub. I tried to make a mole(pronounced mO-leh, for the benefit of the Spanish language uninformed)Mole is a long , complicated cook. Mole sauce is delicious with a slow stewed chicken.