In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Chicken of the woods

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Smokinpiney, Oct 30, 2020.

1. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

I came across some chicken of the woods yesterday at work. I've always wanted to try it so I took some home and gave it a shot! First I kept it simple and cooked it in some butter with fresh garlic. It wasn't bad but I wasn't totally loving it so i figured I'd fry some up like chicken. A quick egg dredge then in some seasoned flour and bam! Fried chicken of the woods. I've never been much of a mushroom eater but these are good!

20201030_083125.jpg 20201029_170258.jpg

Knothead, Midwinter, Thor and 10 others like this.
  2. grandgourmand

grandgourmand

Looks great

Midwinter, Smokinpiney and metalcuttr like this.
  3. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Hey Smokinpiney , Our chickens have brighter feathers. I cook them in olive oil and garlic or chicken fried like you did. Not my most favorite mushroom but OK. We look for younger bunches and just use the edges of the frills. For some reason around here, COtheW bunches are always located near a yellow jacket nest. I have remained unscathed but my hunting buddy has been stung a couple of times. I just trip him then run fast! chickenofwoods.jpg

4. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

metalcuttr they certainly do look brighter. This was my first time trying them and they weren't too bad. The outer edges were definitely more tender and less earthy tasting.
    I sliced up what I had left and vac sealed them to take up to deer camp in two weeks.

Yellow jackets!? No thanks. Good idea knocking your buddy down. When those devils come out it's every man for himself

Midwinter, metalcuttr and eatonpcat like this.
  5. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Try that same spot for COtheW a little earlier in the fall next year and I suspect they will be bright. Wish you best of success for your hunting! Although killing a deer is not all of deer camp for sure.:handshake:

Midwinter likes this.
  6. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Works for bears also...although usually only once!