In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cherry Stacked Today

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by thewoodlands, Oct 5, 2013.

1. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I did some hauling from the woods to the house, it was a great day for it. This Cherry is from the May wind event we had.

Picture 7931 was some Cherry in a separate area, I headed down to more Cherry down the trail so it would make a full load.

Attached Files:

2. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Great pics woody. You got a lot of wood still waiting to be cut in the background.

thewoodlands likes this.
  3. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

That stuff is standing, I scrounge what mother nature puts down.;)

This cherry came down in some high winds in May, it should've been done but when I found the sugar maples that were down, I left it.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 5, 2013
    thistle likes this.
  4. Well Seasoned

Too hot during the day right now. I hope to get my silvers bucked soon.I had no chance today to cut. Too many small projects needed my attn b4 its too late.

5. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

I hauled out another three loads of cherry (forgot a picture or two:confused:) then I finally ran the 24 ton splitter on some nice cherry I hauled out in the spring. I did get some of it stacked before it started raining hard so I called it a day around 2:30.

Attached Files:

Snigg, Chvymn99, thistle and 4 others like this.
  6. papadave

papadave

I had planned to go work on one of the Maple blowdowns this afternoon, but the rain told me I can't.:(
    Nice job twl.

7. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Is it raining hard? Once I came in the rain stopped.

8. Well Seasoned

Thick fog this morning with some spritzes here and there allowed a bunch of small projects that had to get done. Rain and t storms tomorrow with the cold front will allow more enjoyable outdoor work this coming week. Your stack job looks great. A few loads with some trail maintanence is a good day woody.

papadave and thewoodlands like this.
  9. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

When I was starting a fire, I saw on the weather channel the east could get nasty tomorrow. It would be nice if I could get another two cherry c/s/s but with hunting season around the corner I'll pick my spots for cutting.

Don't ever say anything good about the stacks, that's when they fall over!o_O

thistle, Scotty Overkill and papadave like this.
  10. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

We're getting some rain right now but it doesn't appear we'll get too much although they are calling for possible heavy rain. I think it will go east of us. Also looks like no wood burning for the next week at least. Too warm for this time of the year.

11. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We just started a fire, can't remember the last time we had one, the pine is doing the job. I think the heavy rain for us (if we get it) will be on Monday.

This coming week I might go for one more cherry (pic 7932-01) with everything I've stacked and the wood still up top that's split, it should put me close to five cord of wood cut this year.

I still have a good size red maple branch (I think) that needs c/s/s that's up top.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Oct 6, 2013
    Backwoods Savage and thistle like this.
  12. papadave

papadave

Started slow, then came down pretty hard for a while.
    Very light sprinkles now.
    Supposed to pour tonight. Looking forward to Tues.

Backwoods Savage likes this.
  13. Locust Post

Locust Post

Supposed to have rain move in here about 10 tonight and all night till morning. Showing sun from then on through the week with cooler evenings. My plan is to head toward some barkless locust I just spotted....Tues. or Wed. afternoon. Looks like you have an abundance of cherry again this year Zap. Just something I like about having cherry around in the stacks....not the best but just darn good all around firewood.

thewoodlands likes this.
  14. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

Mother Nature puts down enough for us so we can burn three cord a year, not face. The sugar maple and the beech do the trick in the colder months.

That barkless locust, would that be dry enough for this year? I've had some barkless beech that was ready, it was cut about two months before the burning season about three years ago.

When I was coming down the trail today, I noticed some barkless trees (smaller) I think they're dead elm.

Scotty Overkill likes this.
  15. Locust Post

Locust Post

Yes I would say that barkless locust could be burnt this year but I will not. I have barkless locust mixed in my stacks in many places so this will just be some more "sweet candy" to mix in. I don't usually keep the different species sorted unless it is oak. I do how ever generally put a pile of that locust off to the side on the patio for the cold days or when I know I need an extra long burn. It will be a learning year for me with this cat stove.

That barkless dead elm would be nice as it usually is pretty easy splitting when it is that way. But like you have said why cut down stuff when you can work on the ones that Father God put down (I know that isn't what you say) I couldn't help myself. :)

thewoodlands and Scotty Overkill like this.
  16. DexterDay

DexterDay Administrator

That's some sweet looking Cherry!!

That one that is down is HUGE!!

As always, beautiful pics.

17. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Looks like an honest day's work there, Woody!! Great photos as always....

18. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

It's a nice day up here in northern new york, 63 degrees before the cold front moves in with some possible gust up to 50 mph.