In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

cherry jelly

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Erik B, Jul 16, 2020.

1. Erik B

Erik B

I noticed a cherry tree with lots of small cherries on it. It is a wild black cherry tree. Would the cherry's make good juice that could be turned into jelly?

2. fishingpol

fishingpol

I'd give it a try. It may need a bit of sugar and pectin. I don't think I've ever tried it before.

3. fishingpol

fishingpol

4. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

YES! ABSOLUTELY! Wild cherry is spectacular for jellies.

5. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    To make cherry jam/jelly, I would not bother pitting the cherries. I would cook them in a bit of water or apple juice until they are soft and then use a food mill to separate the juice/pulp from the pits. I then would make a jam with the separated pulp. It won't be clear like a jelly. Here is the type of food mill I use. I also use Pomona Pectin so I can use little or no sugar or some other type of sweetener. Pomona's Universal Pectin You just have to be a bit more careful how you store the finished product as the sugar content might not be as high. Good luck with processing your cherries.

upload_2020-8-9_7-3-2.png