In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cheap Saw Bar

Discussion in 'Chainsaws and Power Equipment' started by Kimberly, Nov 20, 2019.

1. Kimberly

Kimberly

I purchased some upstart chains from Amazon; three chains were $35.35 with the shipping. The reviews seemed to indicated the chains were decent chains. I see this upstart bar for $17.98 with shipping. What do you guys think?

Upstart Bar

Jack Straw and metalcuttr like this.
  2. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Last chains I bought were from Frawleys a few years ago. I paid that much for Oregon chain. 20" loops were like $8 or $9 I remember and 24" loops were like $12. There was free shipping as well over like $50 I think. I stocked up. I don't even think I have opened one of those chains yet maybe. I had so many already I was useing and a chain lasts a LONG time.

As for the bar, I have many no name bars. Like everyone I have used. Forester bars are actually pretty good. As for the one your listing, buy it and see, that's cheap enough to buy and try it.

Sent from my moto g(7) using Tapatalk

Mag Craft, T.Jeff Veal and metalcuttr like this.
  3. Kimberly

Kimberly

I may go ahead and order the bar. When I was cutting that red oak, I had the chain to jump the bar and I have not had that to happen before. I know the current bar on the saw is worn and figured that the wear decreases the height of the grove as well as widens the grove in the bar that the chain rides in. I would like a Stihl bar but the price isn't in the budget; same for the chains, I read that the Stihl chains will last longer but I got the upstart chains for around $10.00 a piece.
    There were no reviews on the bar so thought I would see if anyone has used the upstart products.

T.Jeff Veal, JB Sawman and metalcuttr like this.
  4. unclefess

unclefess Guest

you may be able to save your bar ,there is an inexpensive tool called a bar dresser that will debur and true the edges ,look on youtube for a few videos that show how to do it ,as long as the groove is still deep enough that may be all you need ,the chain may not have been properly adjusted and came off because it was loose ,good luck

Last edited by a moderator: Nov 20, 2019
  5. Kimberly

Kimberly

I have a machinist scale that my friend gave me years ago; what should the depth be on the groove?

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  6. unclefess

unclefess Guest

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  7. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

90 percent of the time the chain jumping off the bar is from a loose chain bar dressers work well to clean up wear on your rails I have seen some pretty worn bars that the groove was still deep enough as long as they are flat across rails if the groove is really worn there are some tools available to close them back up but you will spend as much on the tools as buying that bar and trying it also FYI I have a logger who went to using Frostbite bars he says they are the longest lasting bars he has used good luck JB

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  8. unclefess

unclefess Guest

9. Kimberly

Kimberly

Maybe I will take some close up photos of the bar and see what you guys think. It was a new chain and I have heard that chains will stretch a bit on first use so maybe I did let the tension get too loose. I was going by what my friend told me but I respect you guys opinion.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  10. Kimberly

Kimberly

Yes, I am seeing the mushrooming mentioned in the video.

T.Jeff Veal likes this.
  11. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

Yes chains stretch, especially when new. You usually have to stop and tighten a few times more frequently at first before the chain settles in.

Kimberly and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  12. jwebb

jwebb

A flat file usually works, and yes new chains can stretch quite a bit

Kimberly and T.Jeff Veal like this.
  13. Kimberly

Kimberly

Thanks guys. I think I will dress the bar up as shown in the video and wait on buying a bar then.

clemsonfor likes this.
  14. clemsonfor

clemsonfor

And I forgot, dress the bar best you can I doubt the bar is really worn out unless whoever you got it from has cut A LOT of wood of you have. I have a twenty inch Stihl bar that's 15 years old and is my main bar I use and it's still has lots of life left. I burn between 2-4 cords a year for the past 8 years or so and this has been my firewood saw before that, but at most I cut a cord or two a year prior

Kimberly likes this.