In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Chain link Geo Grid??

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by jo191145, Apr 8, 2021.

1. jo191145

jo191145

As is normal in life, as soon as you throw it away you’ll discover a use for it :)
    Was just thinking on my way home from the scrapyard. Anyone ever consider using old chain link fence as a geo grid in the soft spots of your “wood trails”? We all have them right?
    I have one spot,,,,,bout 50’ long that collects water. Go well out of my way not to drive on it during mud season or after a heavy rain. Dries up ok during summer. Deep topsoil in a low spot. Grass lawn. Been planning on running processed stone over it. Of course it would be wise to dig it out first with a machine, that I don’t have.
    Just occurred to me I’d save a lot of $$$ on processed stone by putting down old chain link fence instead of digging. Maybe a little large processed first underneath to increase footprint and stop it from just sinking. More large on top, then a 3/4”- to finish it off.

FYI it’s flat and unrutted right now. Filling in a rutted mud hole would be a slightly different task.
    Just wondering if anyone ever tried it?

PA Mountain Man likes this.
  2. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

If you are planning on running the Iron Horse and dump trailer over this, the chainlink isn't going to make much of a difference. without a foot or more of heavy rock.
    Is there a location on your property that you can cut out some good fill and swap out the topsoil?

jo191145 likes this.
  3. jo191145

jo191145

Nah nothing but topsoil and hard pan. I was figuring about 8”. I think with the chain link sandwiched between two layers of largish processed it would work. Have been wrong before tho.

4. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Interesting idea but something in me just cringes at the thought of burying galvanized chain link. Someone off in the future will be cussing you for sure. Maybe even you!

PA Mountain Man likes this.
  5. brenndatomu

brenndatomu

Works good to keep the varmits from digging into the henhouse though!

eatonpcat likes this.