In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Ceiling fan question

Discussion in 'The DIY Room' started by SloMoJoe, Jun 18, 2021.

Tags:
  1. SloMoJoe

SloMoJoe

I'm doing some remodeling, and got to thinking about ceiling fans.

I have a FireView in a large room that has cathedral ceilings, approximately 45' x 28'. So, I want ceiling fans. I looked at Big azz Fans Industrial Fans, Ceiling Fans & More | Big azz Fans but decided to go with 3 ceiling fans instead. I'm not trying to move air between floors, or even down the hallway, just trying to make the big room as comfortable and efficient as possible.

I understand the principal of having your fan push the air down in summer, so the breeze (wind chill) cools you a bit. And have the fan pull the air up in winter to keep the warm air moving, but avoid the wind chill.

In summer:
    All fans blow down

In winter:
    Fan C will pull air up. I have a fan there now & it's more comfortable to pull air up towards the ceiling.
    Fan A is new. I know this should pull air up to move the warmth away from the stove.
    Fan B is new. I'm wondering if it's better to have this fan blow the warm air down, to try to create circulation in the room. It makes sense to me on paper, but am wondering if anyone has actually done this & if it helps, hurts, or makes no difference in the grand scheme of things.

Further, the current idea is to space the fans on the center ridge, evenly in the room, 1/3 of the total width of the room away from the wall. Or should Fan A be closer to the stove to move more air away?

Appreciate any insight anyone has in advance.

upload_2021-6-18_17-55-29.png

T.Jeff Veal, wildwest and mat60 like this.
  2. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

Warm air is lighter and rises. Cold air is denser and sinks. Pulling the warm air up in the middle of the room will help to push the cold air down at the perimeter of the room.
    So I think B should pull air up also.
    This should keep your room closer to consistent temperatures from wall to wall.
    But if I'm wrong, just flip the switch on fan B and try it the other way.:smoke:

3. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

Hot air (not heat) rises, so pulling up is key. Ceiling fan just can’t efficiently push down less dense air as well as it can lift up more dense air.
    As for down the hallway, a small fan or box fan pointing at the stove room, on lowest setting will treat you right.

4. SloMoJoe

SloMoJoe

Maybe this diagram explains what I'm thinking better. On paper, this makes sense to me, where you almost create a circular convection in the room, distributing the heat better by having the fan closest to the stove pull air up and the fan further away from the stove push air down. Keep in mind that it's quite a large room, cathedral ceilings, 45x28 - this hand drawn diagram is definitely not to scale.

I ask, as some things make total sense on paper, but when you put it into practice, it all falls apart. Wondering if anyone else has attempted anything like this.

upload_2021-6-21_11-20-31.png

5. bushpilot

bushpilot

The blow-down will chill you. I have a similar situation, and I leave them all blowing up. If you go to the edge of the room (near the walls) you can feel the downward flow. You don't want that in the occupied center.

6. PA Mountain Man

PA Mountain Man

Me thinks maybe you think too much. :D
    Use the switch next winter and let us know which works best.
    I work in big azz warehouses with those big azz fans. They blow down in summer and up in winter.

7. SloMoJoe

SloMoJoe

Um, I've been accused of overthinking things a time or two... :whistle:

Yea, we use them in some of newer shops. Great fans! And maybe the best fan for my application, just a bit too much for my semi-rustic house...

8. JackHammer

JackHammer

I just found out that I need a 14ft. fan in my life. :dennis:

9. SloMoJoe

SloMoJoe

You do…. Then the dilemma is what to set it at. The ones we have feature electronic controls with 1% increments. So, 100 settings to bicker over, or 200, if you get into reversing fan direction. I’m waiting for them to need plastic, lockable covers like the thermostats…. :rofl: :lol:

Helps to pass the time at work, I guess.

10. BCC_Burner

BCC_Burner

Instead of more fans to even out the heat distribution, I think you need a second woodstove. :stacker:

11. JackHammer

JackHammer

For those perfect 6 minutes between 72 and 87. Ahhhh...

12. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Previous had similar situation as well, we left the ceiling fans in both large rooms on pull all year long too.

PA Mountain Man and SloMoJoe like this.
  13. wildwest

wildwest Moderator

Hi, I didn't realize all these years you were in CO? How long have you been there? Do you ski?

PA Mountain Man likes this.
  14. BCC_Burner

BCC_Burner

I've moved around quite a bit since I registered here. When I initially signed up I was living in Utah (in Big Cottonwood Canyon, hence "BCC Burner"), then I moved up to Driggs, Wydaho for a bit over a year, then to Aspen, CO, then to Washington State for a few years, and now I'm back in Colorado as of the fall.

I don't ski as much as I used to, but I managed to get in around 65 days on skis this past winter. It's probably my favorite thing in the world to do.

wildwest likes this.