In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Cedar

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by RParrotte, Dec 30, 2017.

1. RParrotte

RParrotte

So there’s a small mill about 3 miles from my house that I sell logs to from time to time. Recently I’ve been bringing him cedar. He’s in need of all the cedar I can bring him right now. Been bringing him a load a week. So today I bared the negative temps and fell a load. Had a pretty good hitch on here. 41BABEC8-A38B-47BD-A7ED-7CE943FA066D.jpeg
    Had a little freeze up on the beard today too. Got a little Grizzly spit in there too!!
    389D7EB8-1290-4961-92A8-BC151B577B6B.jpeg

2. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

I seldom cut cedar, but of all the wood that I do, cedar pays the best, by the cord or by the board foot for saw logs.

BTW: You are a better man than me as I have hibernated all week. Granted next week I have no choice and will have to get out in the cold. I am not looking forward to that.

raybonz likes this.
  3. RParrotte

RParrotte

He pays $500/1000. Which I’m glad because really I hate cutting cedar. I’d rather cut pine or firewood.

NortheastAl and MikeyB like this.
  4. LodgedTree

LodgedTree

Yeah that is what I get as well, $500/ mbf, $120 a cord when sold that way, or $4.50 per sharpened fence post.

I don't like cutting it either, mostly because the production just is not there. The trees are not as close together on my farm like Spruce, Firor Hardwood, so I have to move about the forest gathering up a twitch and that takes time, and less trees out at the end of the day. Then there is the limbs, and it plays havoc with the chainsaw saw chain: nothing short of cutting into a rock dulls a chain like cutting cedar limbs!