In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Canning Recipes...

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Chvymn99, Jul 13, 2014.

1. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

There's been some recipes and ideas shared. I thought I would start a thread dealing with any and all canning recipes that you like or found interesting.

Here's the salsa that I made last year. I'm planning to double my volume this year upto about 50 jars.

(@Beet Stix)

Annie's Salsa:

Attached Files:

GRIZ, Trundle and Well Seasoned like this.
  2. Mitch Newton

Mitch Newton

Thanks for posting. My recipe is very similar except no tomato sauce and paste. What does that provide? Makes it thicker?

3. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Heres a explanation. I know I was concerned with canning and last a over the winter. So thats why I did this recipe and another.

http://forums.gardenweb.com/forums/load/harvest/msg0714362724598.html

GRIZ likes this.
  4. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

GRIZ likes this.
  5. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Great idea for a thread. I will be contributing a bunch once we get the recipes out. Going to try lots of pickled peppers this year.

GRIZ and Chvymn99 like this.
  6. Trundle

Trundle

I agree Adam. Great timing for this thread. I've never done any canning but I'm gonna giver it a go this year for sure. I've looked into it a little and think I'll get a water bath canning setup to start with. Pressure cookers are pretty spendy new. Which method do you guys use?

7. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

I use both. Basically if the acid content is not then pressure canner and are Better at long term storage. They should be about $100 (6 to 8 jars). Water bath for anything with a high acid content (vinegar induced). Rough rule of thumb, cause it's not worth being sick for. I have done short term salsa with a water bath before and came out fine, but I personally wouldn't keep them for longer than 2-4 months.

GRIZ and Trundle like this.
  8. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

We do both in either a 8 or 16 quart canner, I can't remember. It's the one big enough to hold 8 quart jars so I assume it's an 8 quart. We have trouble getting it up to temp some times, so I think I will try it out on the burn barrel this year.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2014
    Trundle likes this.
  9. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    I use boiling water bath for fruit, tomatoes, pickles and jams and pressure cooker for fish, meat and veggies. I just finished canning 21 1/2 pts of pink salmon and coho my BIL brought over last night. I posted a seven day pickle recipe on Pickling Time thread by basod

http://firewoodhoardersclub.com/forums/index.php?threads/pickling-time.4801/

Looking into getting some cherries on sale later this afternoon.

Chvymn99, campinspecter and Trundle like this.
  10. basod

basod

Be careful of deviating from recipes for boiling water bath - adding vegetables outside of tomatoes(salsas with peppers/onions/cilantro etc.) changes the pH of the canned product and can result in botulism.
    Dill pickles/peppers etc. in vinegar are fine as acidity is not really altered - not the case with bread & butter pickles/sweet pickles.

I do Rotel(diced tomatoes&jalepenos) blanched peeled & diced with no vinegar just boiling water and a 1/2tsp canning salt in boiling bath without issues, again tomatoes have their own acidity.

Best way to prep tomatoes for canning: get a pot of water going and a bowl with ice & water in the sink. Drop tomatoes 3-4 at a time in boiling water, remove after 3mins straight into ice bath(replenish as it melts) more tomatoes into boiling water then start removing skins under cold running water , core and chop. 3-4 at a time is about what I can keep up with the boiling ones.

UncleJoe, Woodwidow and Chvymn99 like this.
  11. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

I can tomatoes to use in soups and spaghetti sauces so I don't bother peeling them. I (or else Campinspecter) slice them in 1/2 slices, heat them up in a little water which gets juicier as you do more, hot pack them into jars and then process for 20 mins in the boiling water. Peeled tomatoes are nice but as basod explained, it is quite a process.

campinspecter and basod like this.
  12. Grizzly Adam

Grizzly Adam null

Does anyone have any interesting pickle recipes or pickled pepper recipes?

JustWood likes this.
  13. basod

basod

There's another option for whole tomatoes - flash freezing them, easy to do when over run with Roma tomatoes
    I put a sheet pan in the chest freezer let it get cold and then lay washed and dried tomatoes on it, after frozen transfer to a freezer bag in quantities that I'll use for chili or soups. Putting the freezer bags into a brown paper bag seems to help with freezer burn.
    Run them under hot water and the skins peel right off.

Chvymn99 likes this.
  14. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

I'll be using that one @basod. Thanks! As I'll have plenty of Romas.

I've always just did the 3 minute hot water 3 minute cold bath peel then bag & freeze.

GRIZ likes this.
  15. basod

basod

Doesn't seem to take 1-2 Roma plants for a bushel of them;)

16. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Well I've got 12 or 14 Roma's.... I want to try to make some sauce this year

GRIZ and basod like this.
  17. basod

basod

I have 12 plants total, Rutgers Atkinsons Early Girl, and a Big Boy if I recall correctly - I still have bags of Roma's from last year, and I didn't plant a sweet 100 cherry because I seem to never be able to eat them all

Chvymn99 likes this.
  18. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

What a good idea. I hadn't heard of doing that before. It would be a quick way to process tomatoes.

In my previous post, I meant to say 1/2" slices.

campinspecter and basod like this.
  19. basod

basod

It's the "easy" way of doing it and it really does work provided you don't have to worry about power outages from large storms in the non-winter months...I figure I've got a good 2-3 days before the thermal mass of the freezer gets above 30F in the summer, during Tornado season here in the spring I could go a week before having to hook up a generator.
    I don't really have to worry about hurricanes being inland...just the spin off low class tornadoes (~200 post Katrina) those are rare but can be a very real reality

20. Daryl

Daryl

I will be cold packing spicy pickles this year. I could post that recipe if you like.