In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Canning 2021

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Greenstick, May 28, 2021.

1. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

On frozen meat: I'd rather have the bulk of meat canned. Whatever is in the chesst freezer should either be able to be eaten before it thaws, or canned despite the lack of power.

Tip: it will cut better partially frozen.

Ground beef can be well fried, fat drained, and then canned. Never tried it. I suppose the texture of the ground beef canned, could be hidden in the finished product.

Beef can also be dried in strips, flavored or not.

Pork, should be cooked then dried, even if cooked minimally (as strips?) To hit 140°.

I always raw-pack, its not any healthier than hot pack, but why dirty pots and pans to cook, then more pots and pans to can, when the canning process cooks the heck out of it anyway?
    Sca

wildwest likes this.
  2. Sirchopsalot

Sirchopsalot

Today's cannin adventure....
    Kale.
    Dehydrated (Excalibur 9 tray dehydrator, 12 years old)
    Powdered (recent Ninja purchase)
    Screened thru a sifter to remove the dried stem pieces.
    Note: fresh kale might be a better idea, as stems cam be removed by hand before drying, rather than after.

4 bags of kale, frozen till today, took 6ish hours to dry
    Made approx 1.5C of powder.
    1t. can be added to hot water for a hot drink, or added in cooking...(scrambled eggs...)

The idea was that we can only store so much kale in the freezer. Thawed, it would only be good in soups. So this clears out the freezer and keeps it handy for drinking, rather than depending on electric to make a juice, or freezer to keep it stored.

I'm beginning to think that when things get skinny, greens and healthy foods will be critical and hard to come by.

(The right hand jar is 2 small bags.of spinach, same process)

IMG_20220619_205345.jpg

Last edited: Jun 19, 2022
    wildwest likes this.