In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Can of whoop ash and a mill =

Discussion in 'The Sawyer Room' started by The Wood Wolverine, Feb 8, 2016.

1. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Got around to dropping the base of an ash tree. This tree was diseased and constantly dropped debris in our pool, so I had an arborist friend take it down to this (7/13):
    DSC07020.JPG

Had intentions to build a tree house in it that never came to fruition. Since I am in possession of a friends mill, lets have at it! Might as well make something from it instead of letting it rot.
    It took a lot longer to get it down than I planned. Darn thing gave a valiant fight! Tied it off to the Jeep and pulled taught, then went @ it with the wedges and finally a crow bar.
    DSC01203.JPG
    DSC01206.JPG
    DSC01208.JPG
    DSC01209.JPG

metalcuttr, WESF, Mag Craft and 26 others like this.
  2. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

And some more pics. I was pleasantly surprised to find some spalting in it. I got 2 of the smaller top pieces milled today. I hope to get at it tomorrow more. That base sure is intimidating! They are gonna be some heavy azz pieces!
    DSC01211.JPG
    Laid a piece of my wood stack cover down to save some grass.
    DSC01212.JPG
    DSC01213.JPG
    DSC01215.JPG
    DSC01216.JPG
    DSC01217.JPG
    DSC01220.JPG

metalcuttr, WESF, Mag Craft and 27 others like this.
  3. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

4. swags

swags Moderator

Very nice slabs there!

5. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Got all the small pieces taken care of today. Also started to freehand some of the edges so it will be narrow enough. I removed the felling dogs from the saw to get every last inch for mill clearance. Better phone a friend (or 2, or 3), I have a feeling these are going to weigh a metric sheet-ton!
    3-6" of snow predicted tomorrow so I had to get as much off the ground as possible. I didn't have a spot planned for these yet. Better get on that!
    DSC01228.JPG

DSC01229.JPG

DSC01230.JPG

DSC01231.JPG

DSC01232.JPG

Also, if you have any tips feel free to share. I've never dealt with a hunk this large.

metalcuttr, WESF, Mag Craft and 20 others like this.
  6. mdavlee

mdavlee

Probably too late now but I'd try to get it on an angle

7. 1964 262 6

1964 262 6

with the ash beetle killing all the ash trees, this lumber will will be a lasting memory . there won't be anymore for some time. what are your plans for all that pretty wood?

8. Well Seasoned

Well Seasoned Administrator

Awesome job! Great pics!

9. Horkn

Horkn

Wow, that giant trunk left a good dent in the lawn. That 394 looks pretty happy with that big honking b&c.

Not all ash trees are doomed 1964 262 6 , but yes, a lot of them succumbed to EAB. Many more were, and are still being culled to stop the spread of EAB.

10. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

I wish Mike.

I do not have plans for it yet. @ the end of this month, I am retiring from 26 years in the printing industry. My wife recently became a registered nurse and will support our fam. I hope to rekindle some interests I haven't had time for, one being wood working.

11. Stinny

Stinny

That's one big chunka ash. Nice job with the slabs... :yes:

12. mdavlee

mdavlee

Do you have a hi lift Jack?

13. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

14. mdavlee

mdavlee

You should be able to lift it with that. Just a foot of drop on it will make it much nicer on you for feeding.

15. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Thanks for the tip. We're about to go into a deep freeze up here so I covered up the log to prevent it from getting wet with the precip we're about to get. It was a sunny 40 degrees today but felt like 50+ in the sun. Great day for being out with the saws.

16. mdavlee

mdavlee

When the ground is froze hard it will be easier to lift it without sinking. If you can get it up any it will help with fumes as well.

17. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

I was going to suggest that you separate the crotch from the trunk and deal with the pieces individually, but looking at the last pic it seems like you may have already. If it were me, I'd divide the crotch again into 2 sections (red lines), then slice them right through the center (green lines). Then I'd set my mill to slab thickness and get as many as I could from those 4 pieces. If I had a whole day I might even remove a slab or 2 of wane from the trunk first and then make all the slabs in one long session.

DSC01232.JPG

Sawing the crotch the way I suggest will of course yield shorter pieces, but I think you'd end up with some oddballs if you left it on there. However, sawing it through the centers will maximize the amount of "rippled" grain effect between the 2 branches. I've seen some slab tables where the legs were made from crotch slabs like that and I'd like to make one myself one day.

One other thing - I like to see where the heart center of the log is, as I reference all of my cuts based on that. Sealing the ends is a great idea, but I'd try to mark where that is first somehow so I could reference it later.

Nice work so far! :yes:

18. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

Very intersting insight, thank you for sharing. I'm definitely going to give it some more thought before I proceed. I was going for maximum length for the possibility of bench tops or long tables.

We're getting burried in snow right now, so it will be a while before I get back at it.

19. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Jason, since you seem to really be getting into CSM'ing, you should probably look into getting a gallon of Anchorseal. It's only $25 and it is better than paint, and it's translucent so you can see the pith and rings after sealing.

20. Shawn Curry

Shawn Curry

I used to go for maximum length too, but these days try to "read" the log and let it tell me how it should be sawn. Unless I had a specific plan in mind for them, I'd rather yield the 'best' pieces, rather than the 'most'. Not every piece needs to be 8' long - in fact I've never used an 8 footer in a project yet. Most tables are 6' and under. Just my .02.

If you have a Rockler nearby, they sell a knockoff product with the same sort of qualities. I think they just call it "green lumber end sealer" or something. I don't remember if it was cheaper, but I've got an outlet store nearby and could have it in hand the same day.