In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Can I sharpen a one man saw?

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by timusp40, Feb 19, 2022.

1. timusp40

timusp40

So, a few years back, I purchased a nice German Putsch one man saw. It did a nice job for quite a while. I bought this saw for occasional use and exercise, not for a ton of everyday cutting. Well, it needs to be sharpened. I'll be darned if I can find anyone in this area that still works on the old style one- or two-man saws.

I need some help here. Can a guy file the teeth himself? Do I need a tool to reset the teeth? I would like to do this myself but if it is something that should be left to a professional, I understand. Willing to spend some time learning how.

2. The Wood Wolverine

The Wood Wolverine

3. Camber

Camber

Talk to a real mill wright if you have a sawmill that does some rough re-sawing in your area. they usually have the tools to reset the teeth kerf and cutting angles. That is all I can suggest.

4. Screwloose

Screwloose

Should not be much of a issue but some pictures are needed for any suggestions.

5. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Yes you can learn to file your saw. You are correct that you will need to verify +/- set the teeth. Tooth setting tool shouldn't be too expensive. Also, you could do a quick Google search for something like "hand saw sharpening" and find a place near you.

6. JB Sawman

JB Sawman

I have a good sharpening service near me there should be someone in your area that can sharpen all handsaws usually need the set adjusted to make them cut their best it is time consuming to hand sharpen but it is all technique and there is enough info out there if you can sharpen a saw chain you can file a handsaw just takes practice if you have any timber or logging shows near you most of the time there is usually a vendor that does it JB

7. mike bayerl

mike bayerl

Yes, we have a good sharpener here in York Pa who does hand saws and commercial work, too.

8. B.Brown

B.Brown

I see you are from Michigan, check with the local forest service, i'm guessing there are guys who work there that are capable of filing your saw for you. Some trails are still maintained by hand tools, no power saws are are allowed on the trails.

9. chris

chris

There are hand setters available -work like a crimping tool. depending on the style of teeth you will need a a rather fine Mill file, a cant file and a triangle file. Lots of U tube offering on subject.

10. timusp40

timusp40

I can't upload any pics from my phone or computer. This has been a problem for quite some time.

11. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

Try reducing the size of the pictures and see if that works.

brenndatomu likes this.
  12. timusp40

timusp40

I tried that also. No luck. Various problems with the FHC site. Cannot stay logged in, cannot upload pics, cannot enter swag shop etc. Message Scotty about this a while back. He said the entire web site needs to be fixed. Others are uploading pictures all the time. I have a new laptop too, must be something wrong.

13. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

That is strange. I just replaced my laptop last year and I have had no problems. I did have to change my search engine from explorer to Microsoft edge because I was having some issues with other forums. That fixed it.

brenndatomu likes this.
  14. timusp40

timusp40

Not the best pictures, but this is the saw that needs sharpening. My apologies about earlier comments regarding uploading photos. They were too large after all.

Saw 1.jpg Saw 2.jpg

15. walt

walt

That saw does not look like it has been used much. Take your files and just touch up the teeth a little. If you don't take much you may get by without putting more set in it.

Cold Trigger Finger likes this.
  16. MuddyPaw

MuddyPaw

17. timusp40

timusp40

Cold Trigger Finger likes this.