In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Camp stove question

Discussion in 'Non-EPA Woodstoves and Fireplaces' started by RGrant, Mar 30, 2020.

1. RGrant

RGrant

Question for you folks in the know-

These camp stoves, not specific to the England's brand although we can use them in particular for the purposes of my question say that they're not for use indoors.
    What prevents them from being able to be installed indoors? Is it that they're not airtight and could leak CO emissions into the house? They're, and stoves like them are used when hot tent camping, so my guess would be that a tent lets much more ventilation in and out... mitigating that issue?

So to my actual question- aside from town codes- could one be installed in a free-standing garage using a double walled pipe? This place sells the appropriate sized piping to go through a wall or a roof.

Just kind of curious to see what the preclusion would be.
    For the sake of argument, lets imagine its on a poured concrete floor and some heat shields are in place around the stove, 1inch air gap to the wall.

2. Warner

Warner

I’ll start by saying if someone were to do that the need to understand that some see it as risky.

we use a mall camp stove to heat the fishing shanty it works quite well. 52E65BD4-39D6-4885-BA1F-9C85E5C1BD04.jpeg However you need to constantly load it. I would imagine it would take quite a while to get any actual heat in a cold garage. And it’s a bit of a pia to process wood small enough to get in the stove.

Can it be done sure, is it practical I doubt it.

3. Warner

Warner

F9750CEA-6CBB-4BCF-A1E3-1D0203A70EF3.jpeg Oh and another member told me to makes sure you don’t pass out drunk while using the stove.:wacky:

4. RGrant

RGrant

So here's the confession- one of my cousin's with a wife and 2 young girls has a garage he finds refuge in- and we were talking last time I was out about getting a stove in the garage to futz around with and thought one of these smaller camp stoves wouldn't be too bad of an idea.
    Been stuck home the last couple weeks like everyone else and wanted to bounce some ideas off the wall.

5. Warner

Warner

If we’re talking about heating a garage from outside ambient temp after work or on the weekend he will need a much larger stove.

I pretty much do the same thing. Use the garage for man town. I started with a Vermont casting intrepid 2 would take half the day to get comfortable enough to take your coat off. Ended up get hung a HUGE fisher copy (takes 30 inch splits). Bigger stove is way better. My garage is 2 stall and is only 3/4 walls are insulated with crappy doors so there’s that. And I’m in southern New Hampshire.

and of course if you are to do this I would store fuel cans and gas power equipment in a shed. And I guess it is a code violation so if something was to happen...

metalcuttr likes this.
  6. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Those camp stoves are made primarily to use in the fall for tent camping. I have a couple for elk camping and have made a number of them for sale. I would recommend, as Warner said, a larger, but maybe not huge, quality stove for heating the garage. There are plenty of used house stoves for reasonable prices out there. Get a nice one that holds fire well, install it correctly, pop a few beers with some Buddies and pretend you are camping!

tim117 and RGrant like this.