In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

★★★☆☆ Calientitos Wood Pellets (Review)

Discussion in 'Pellet Fuels' started by funflyer, Dec 5, 2015.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. funflyer

funflyer

Calientitos Hardwood/Softwood Blend:

Temp Above Door (max) - 406

Convection Air Temp (avg) - 205

Ash Volume - 32 ounces

Ash Weight - 14.5 ounces (unbelievable :eek: but double checked)

Ash Percentage - 2.27%

Fines In Bag - 1/2 cup

Pellet Length (avg) – 1/2" - 1-1/4"

Bag Weight – 39.8 lbs.

Burn time – 17.5 hours

Notes:
    $259.00/Ton
    Temps are in Fahrenheit
    Stove set on heat level 4 of 9
    Convection fan on level 9 of 9
    Low Fuel Feed (LFF) - 4
    Low Burn Air (LBA) - 7
    Room Temp - 72
    Outside Air Temp - 22

Picked up three test bags on the recommendation of a store clerk who was sure I'd be returning to pick up a ton after I tried them. :rofl: :lol: Wrong!

I set the stove (usually level 4 or 5) to acheive a minimum surface temp of 400*F (measured between the door and room air slots) which will produce an average convection air temp of 200 - 250*F.

These pellets made the numbers on level 4 but, the LBA had to be increased as they seemed to burn slower/cooler and would build a larger pile in the burnpot with any lower LBA setting. The fly ash was worse than any pellet I've used and the heavy grey ash built up very quickly. I'm not sure how they can call these premium with a high ash content, maybe that's why the bag doesn't list the percentage.

Despite the high volume of ash produced, I rate these 3 Stars only because they made good heat on level 4.

Would I buy these again or recommend them? No, not unless your stove has a large ash pan and these were the only pellets available.

DSC100748.jpg DSC100747.jpg DSC100738.jpg DSC100741.jpg DSC100760.jpg DSC100761.jpg DSC100754.jpg DSC100767.jpg

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.