In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Buying bare land..

Discussion in 'Everything Else (off topic)' started by Beetle-Kill, Jul 31, 2021.

1. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Ok, not bare, more like undeveloped. It is flat and heavily timbered with Ponderosa. It's a beautiful, peaceful area. So, today, I closed on a small parcel.
    I have an adjoining parcel available that I'm considering. The only reason for purchase would be no neighbors on 3-sides of the other parcel. Plus, land- it's not being made anymore so get it when you can.
    The other parcel would be used for game plots and fruit trees, not development. (Ok, maybe a small hunting shack).
    Yes, I want to pick up the other parcel. But it's not inexpensive, and would not be a financial producer, just a chunk of extra privacy for a few years.
    I won't list the cost/acre, but it's around the same as farmland in Nebraska, but no corn/beans.

Would the extra privacy be worth it to you?

2. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

For me, yes! It is hard to beat having privacy at home. If it is affordable, I say get it.

3. Ronaldo

Ronaldo

Buying land is typically a good investment.

Sent from my SM-G930VL using Tapatalk

4. Yawner

Yawner

If I could, I would. With land, the more, the better, for many reasons, including privacy.

5. yooperdave

yooperdave

Yes, yes, yes!

One thing to make the new purchase go south real quick is to have someone with absolutely no consideration next door. Even if you can't see them, chances are you'll hear them.

Like you said, "They're not making any more of it" in regards to land.

How is the Glenwood Springs area doing? Back to "normal"?

And how is the crv doing?

6. Eric VW

Eric VW Moderator

7. ReelFaster

ReelFaster

1000 times over, YES!!!!!! There is nothing more I personally desire than some privacy and a little seclusion, but that's just me.

8. Canadian border VT

Canadian border VT

Buy it, land is like ammo and saws.. more is better

9. bushpilot

bushpilot

Land is sometimes a very poor investment, so make sure you go into it with your eyes open.

That said, if you want it and can afford it, I think it is good to "control" as much of your surroundings as you can. I would like to buy the land adjoining mine as well, for the very same reason.

10. Chaz

Chaz

If I could afford to buy out my neighbor and have them move, I'd pay twice market rate.

So, yeah.

If your finances permit, I surely would.

$.02

11. Biddleman

Biddleman

We must have the same neighbors.

12. Eric Wanderweg

Eric Wanderweg

Sounds like a good investment if privacy is paramount to you. Snatch it up now and you won’t have to worry about it in the future. I sometimes wish I could buy the back 1/2 acre next door to me, which is heavily wooded. It wouldn’t make sense though at a $50,000 price tag and it’ll add another $2500-$3000 a year to my property taxes. :headbang: I’d be way better off moving somewhere different entirely, like an old farmhouse with a few acres, some open field, some woods. A place where the neighbors are already a good distance away. Some day...

13. Chazsbetterhalf

Chazsbetterhalf

How much land is it?

14. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Just got back from Grand Lake with a load of wood. This rain never seems to end these days.
    Thanks for the thoughts. If I can swing it, I will pick up that parcel. It is flat out nice to close my eyes and walk the property in my mind. The one I own is bordered by ranchland on two sides. If I get the next one, I'll only have 1 neighbor bordering a property line.

15. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

It would be 10 acres total, bordered by ranch land on 2 sides.

16. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Hey Yoop.
    Glenwood is a mess. The canyon has been closed numerous times due to mud/rock slides, plus construction. I went through there back in May, took over 9 hours for a 5 hour round trip.
    The CRV is great! I took it up and back to Wyo a few weeks ago, almost got 38mpg. That's not normal but extended hwy. driving.
    The CRV does not like wood rats though. Brought back a traveler who died in the air vents. I got him out in (mostly) one piece, but the smell was ferocious for a few days.

17. yooperdave

yooperdave

I think they must be from an extended family! They own land all over the place!

18. Woodwidow

Woodwidow

Port McNeill, BC Northern Vancouver Island
    This is not the site to ask a question about buying something. Everyone on this site will encourage you to spend your money. They are a group of enablers to spending. Just ask how I know!!

On a serious note, if the price is right, doesn't affect the taxes too badly and gives you peace of mind - go for it.

19. yooperdave

yooperdave

[​IMG]

20. thewoodlands

thewoodlands

We bought the 136 acres more or less for the privacy reason, we have the property to the south and west of us where we won't have to worry about anyone moving next door.

The extra privacy was well worth the money, the reason the previous owner sold it to us was he didn't want it developed while he was still living, he also didn't want hunting on it and unless we needed the money he didn't want logged off either, those three things we did on a hand shake, he passed in 2016 and none of the above things have been done. We also added another acre to the house lot which gave more road frontage where someone can't come in.