In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Burning In The Middle Of June

Discussion in 'The Wood Pile' started by Kimberly, Jun 18, 2020.

1. Kimberly

Kimberly

It turned cold down here in the sunny south; well, not so sunny for the last four days; in fact, four days of rain. Another five inches of rain on top of the eleven inches I got from the last storm. My veggie gardens are being drowned out. The first day I just wore a fuzzy lined shirt but no, I was not going to be cold when I had a stove and wood. The next two days I had a nice fire and a nice toasty warm house. Today I went without a fire as it wasn't as cold but I have kept thinking about a fire as it is just a tad on the chilly side. A fire in the middle of June? Who would have thunk it?

I had a stack to topple; or partially collapsed. I have a feeling that the pallet it was sitting on gave way; it was stacked a bit high. It was to be moved when I got the tractor back together. However, I stacked lumber in the way of the tractor in the shed to repair the front porch and steps and with all the rain, I am behind. Got the porch deck done and stained and was working on the steps when this period of rain came. I am going to put the tractor back together since the covid stuff prevented my parts coming down. I will probably just put the stack back up where it is for now; moving will come later. That wood should be ready to burn this coming winter; although I haven't done a moisture test on any of it.

A web project is also sapping my time; it was suppose to be competed two weeks ago but getting a decent video chat room in place is slowing things down. I think I posted about the oauth connection issue with Rocket.Chat; I don't like Rocket.Chat and if you let user create chat rooms; which they need to be able to do, you can't remove them from the admin interface. You have to load the mongo shell and do command line work and I don't really know mongo. Jitsi seems to be where you create a conference and then send out invites. If anyone knows of a good video chat room at a fair price please let me know.

However, I am getting off topic; this was suppose to be about burning wood in the middle of June. I did see the sun for a brief moment this evening so I am hoping that means sunny days ahead and I can put burning wood aside until the crisp days of autumn arrive. I will see if I can get a photo of the stack of wood that partially collapsed; I don't think it is that bad.

fire-june-2020.jpg

tamarack, MikeInMa, M2theB and 9 others like this.
  2. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

I have a fire going also, you're not alone. :yes:

Dazza95, JDU, M2theB and 4 others like this.
  3. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

I think you and I are in the same weather pattern. Big slushy snowflakes falling here.

4. Beetle-Kill

Beetle-Kill

Heavy rain and rolling thunder here. Glad I still had dry wood in the house. I'm loving the extra moisture.

5. Cash Larue

Cash Larue

Me too, bro. We need it badly.

6. bushpilot

bushpilot

We have (in the past) burned every month except August. Last year I burnt on the 4th of July.

Still burning almost every morning so far this month, including this morning.

7. Skier76

Skier76

Up north last weekend, I almost lit the stove. Opted to turn on the direct vent propane heater instead. Saturday night, we hung out with neighbors by the fire pit with long pants and sweatshirts. This weekend, I’ll probably put the window AC unit in. Ahhhh, New England.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk