In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Burger time.

Discussion in 'The Smokehouse' started by Trundle, Jul 8, 2014.

1. Trundle

Trundle

Well, not right now but this evening when it starts to get a bit more comfortable outside. Had planned on some bacon bleu burgers tonite but the grocery was out of bleu cheese. Settled for gorgonzola (which is fine cause it's one of my favorite cheeses for burgers combined with bacon). Got some sourdough buns, some red onion, some lettuce and tomato, and, if there's still room, some avocado. I figure all that and a baked potato (along with a couple cold beers) should get me to where I need to be for dinner. What do you folks go with for burgers when you want to get away from the tried and true basics?

Ps. I looked about 6 pages deep on this forum for a burger thread but came up empty. Sorry if this is ground already covered to death.

edit: just noticed that I had misspelled gorgonzola. It was bothering me so I fixed it.

Last edited: Jul 8, 2014
  2. savemoney

savemoney

Sometimes I like some chili and onion straws on top of a tender burger. Cheese is optional. Bun should be from a bakery or homemade. Serve with a salad with lettuce, olives, pine nuts, bacon chunks, and Olive Garden croutons and dressing.

Mitch Newton and Trundle like this.
  3. Trundle

Trundle

Just did some cursory sleuthing on google to find the difference between bleu cheese and gorgonzola cheese. Sounds like gorgonzola is just bleu cheese that is made in Italy (with slightly different processes that produce slightly different tastes and textures). Huh, learn something everyday I guess.

4. Trundle

Trundle

Oh man, that sounds excellent! I agree about the bun...the sourdough buns I got today are made by wheat-montana. Good stuff, but I've never tried a sourdough bun for a cheeseburger before.

5. will711

will711

Great thread needs a theme song :thumbs::thumbs: :D :drunk::drunk::drunk:

Chvymn99, Trundle and Grizzly Adam like this.
  6. Trundle

Trundle

Ha Ha. That's perfect will711! :drunk:

will711 likes this.
  7. Trundle

Trundle

Welp. Got inundated with friends and neighbors this evening (which is a strange thing cause I live in sort of the middle of nowhere) and never got my burger cook off the ground. Did, however, have some really good NY Strip steak and grilled asparagus so I'm not complaining. Guess I'll just have to do burgers for dinner tomorrow. You guys missed out tonight though. My buddy Don and a couple of his buddys showed up with instruments and laid down a bluegrass jam on my porch for about 3 hours and I've got to say, it made my whole summer. Great fun.

8. will711

will711

That sounds like a great time it's 3 am here in the east and I'm off to work ,catch ya later:)

Trundle likes this.
  9. Huntindog1

Huntindog1

If you can find this seasoning it is the best I have used. They have it at Rural King Stores.

[​IMG]

campinspecter and Trundle like this.
  10. Trundle

Trundle

Huntingdog1 - I looked it up on amazon and found it, but it's pretty spendy (12.95). I may pull the trigger but I'd like to know if that's a reasonable price first. Thanks for the heads up.

11. mattjm1017

mattjm1017

We got one of these at lowes its for stuffed burgers but I also use it to make a regular burger it shapes it up just right. I usually mix all the stuff together in a bowl and then break off chunks for each burger put it in the press and wala. Mine is a little different than this one but its pretty much the same.

http://www.lowes.com/pd_434543-47703-434543_0__?productId=50114214

12. Trundle

Trundle

Matt, you just convinced me. I'll poke around on amazon and get one headed my way.

mattjm1017 likes this.
  13. mattjm1017

mattjm1017

They work good I havent actually used it for stuffing in a while. The last batch of burgers I made I mixed together burger, bread crumbs, mushrooms, onions, garlic, one egg, salt and pepper. Mixed it all up and smashed it in the press then and I think this is the most important part put a dimple in the middle of the burger on one side they say it helps to cook evenly I think it works. Good luck finding one Im sure theyre around.

14. Trundle

Trundle

will do. Thanks for the tip and the last batch of burgers you made sound friggin awesome.

mattjm1017 likes this.
  15. Smokinpiney

Smokinpiney

Man this burger thread has got me drooling! :drool: Can't wait to get out of this hospital and grill up some venison burgers!

papadave, mattjm1017 and Chvymn99 like this.
  16. Trundle

Trundle

Circumstances have conspired against me the last couple days and I haven't gotten around to making my gorgonzola/bacon burger yet. That's gonna change today! I've got to run a few little errands then its gonna be burger time by God!! May even have to bust out the deep fryer and make some batter dipped french fries to go with it. I had NY strip steak on Tues, ABTs yesterday and todays gonna be bacon cheeseburgers and fries...save a spot for me at the hospital. :grizz:

ps. Hey look, a new smiley!

papadave and Chvymn99 like this.
  17. Trundle

Trundle

Well, I know it's a little late tonite, but this thing is happening. Bacon is frying up right now. Deep fryer is warming up. Fries are sitting in a bowl of batter and the burger patty is pressed with a bunch of red onion chopped up and squished into it. As soon as the bacon is done, I'll fire up the grill and throw the burger on. Then I'll drop the fries into the deep fryer (they take 7-8 minutes to finish). I'll flip the burger at about 5 minutes, let the other side go for a couple minutes, flip it again and put the bacon on and cover the bacon with the gorgonzola and let that ride for as long as it takes to melt the cheese.

Chvymn99, Woodwidow, papadave and 2 others like this.
  18. mattjm1017

mattjm1017

Well thanks a lot Trundle Im hungry again:drool::drool: That sounds amazing:thumbs:

Chvymn99 likes this.
  19. Trundle

Trundle

Oh, and there will be a money shot pic when this all comes together. I can't really start a burger thread without some sort of payoff for frigs sake.

Chvymn99, papadave and mattjm1017 like this.
  20. Trundle

Trundle

Crap. I failed pretty good on this one. Took pics of the burger and fries and it was all gonna be great...then I realized I didn't have the memory card in my camera. Durp. Here's a consolation pic after I already tore into the burger...for what it's worth, it is very tasty!
    001.JPG
    Fries are perfect. The fry sauce is just catsup and mayo whipped together.