In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Buck down!

Discussion in 'The Game Room' started by saskwoodburner, Nov 28, 2017.

1. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

Finally got it done. After many days of hunting in the bush (and one day of cruise around) I pulled the trigger.

It's been an interesting week of hunting, in fact only one day I couldn't have bagged a deer, but I was holding out for a big guy with a funky wide rack. I rattled in a 2x2, had a doe 10 feet away, had a coyote so close I said boo and he scrambled.
    Had a decent doe within swat range, but I knew a hunter was in the same area. Wrong clothing so not easily spotted. The best day I saw 3 bucks, the 2x2 from the tracks the other day, a bigger buck with a taller basket (todays buck I believe), and a wide rack buck that was quite pudgy. I didn't have a clear shot as there was too much brush I wouldn't risk a shot at any.

So finally today, I'm out in the wind, slowly creeping the bush, rattling and grunting occasionally, in some ugly terrain. Like it takes you a minute to fall down when you do! I did that for a bit, then hit an area I rarely hunt.

Down in a slough bottom, buck brush and thickets everywhere, so I set up right on the edg. A bit of rattling, and a decent buck walks by at 130-140 meters. Got to use the 257 Wby for a second year in a row. Heart/lung shot and he was drt.

But the fun wasn't over yet. Called mrssaskwoodburner to give her directions closest to where I think I can make it out. This slough cuts a gentle angle, so even though I'm only about 150 meters directly in the bush (no way to physically drag a deer through that), I have to go 300 on the slough to get out. Well, life sucks sometimes but get 'er done.

Earlier I had mused about why a part of the ice was windswept, when the rest was snow covered, especially in a low area. Turns out it was rotten ice in some spots worse than others. That was fun dragging my deer and hearing cracking, or it giving way. The few spots my boot dropped through was maybe 6-10" deep, but I'm not familiar with this slough. Some are 3 feet deep, some are 8. Anyways, made for an exciting 200 meters or so!

Finally see my gal in the truck, and she comes and helps me drag. Good time for the wind to kick up and start snowing and blowing, basically blizzard conditions. Figure I'll dress the deer over in dads shop, and off we go. I guess I wrote a book here, sorry. I'll throw a pic or two.

2. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

3. Chvymn99

Chvymn99 Moderator

Nice looking buck! Congrats...

stihl sawing, Horkn, KsKent and 4 others like this.
  4. XXL

XXL

Great job. Nice buck! The real work always begins after the trigger is squeezed.

5. blacksmith

blacksmith

Nice buck!:thumbs: What did he weigh?:sherlock: I here those Saskatchewan bucks can have alot of heft to them!

FatBoy85, stihl sawing, Horkn and 2 others like this.
  6. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

No doubt about that, but it's always worth it.:)

FatBoy85, stihl sawing, Horkn and 4 others like this.
  7. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

One of the neighbors has a game scale, but I've never actually weighed a deer, only guesstimates and actual meat weight once butchered and put in the freezer. Decent body size, but fairly young I think. 170-200? lbs for a wild guess I just don't know. Anyone feel free to take a guess at the weight.

FatBoy85, stihl sawing, Horkn and 3 others like this.
  8. Backwoods Savage

Backwoods Savage Moderator

Love the story! Congratulations.

9. Deer Meadow Farm

Deer Meadow Farm

Nice job! I'm going to be a 5 year dry streak if I don't manage to connect this season!
    :eek:

10. VOLKEVIN

VOLKEVIN

We'll have to change your name to "Farm." :p

11. blacksmith

blacksmith

I'd probably say you're pretty close on the weight that buck does look like he has a little beef to him!

12. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

Yikes!! Get out there n git er done! Time to let those standards slip a little.:D

13. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

That's one of my favorite things, is reading about the hunt, it just adds to it. I read a lot of outdoor life hunting type magazines when I was young, and found the story almost puts you there along with the hunter. Obviously I lack writing skills, but as long as one person was in my hunt for a minute, that's all that matters.

I forgot to mention wiping out and having me and the rifle sitting in the snow bank. Good times.:thumbs:

14. RCBS

RCBS

Well done.

I was out from dawn until 3 yesterday and saw all of one of one doe and yearling. Saw about half an imperial ton of squirrels though. They seemed to be enjoying the sunshine. Heading back out on Saturday to see if I can find ol mossy horns.

15. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Beautiful buck, saskwoodburner! I'm betting he's at least 180. How much do you weigh?

16. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

Low 170's before I layer up in hunting gear.

17. Scotty Overkill

Scotty Overkill Administrator

Imma say that buck is 180-195....

Lemme know how close I am. Lol

18. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

It's gonna be anyones guess now. He's got his guts out, lower legs chopped, and skinned out/no head. He keeps getting lighter!

19. XXL

XXL

stihl sawing likes this.
  20. saskwoodburner

saskwoodburner

I hate the stock to tell you the truth, but that's due to short arms/ bundles of clothing. Wearing a t-shirt The length of pull is perfect. Trigger pull is excellent, accuracy holds out right around 1" at 100 meters. It feels a bit nose heavy although it seems to make it steadier off hand.

Action is slick like poop through a goose.

Kinda heavy for a woods rifle, wearing a Burris fullfield 2 it comes in at 8.75 lbs without a sling or cartridges.

Blind magazine doesn't bother me, but for in/out of a vehicle, probly not the best choice.

I think it's a great rifle.

Just to add, my rifle is over 44 inches long, compared to 37 inches and a bit for my Handi rifle.

Last edited: Nov 28, 2017
    stihl sawing, blacksmith and XXL like this.