In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Bought a small axe at a local sport store

Discussion in 'Axes, Mauls, and Hand Saws' started by metalcuttr, Dec 1, 2019.

1. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Bought this small axe at a local spot store on sale for $24. It is branded both Cold Steel TM on the head and labeled American Tomahawk Co. model "Trail Boss". The head is well finished and the overall finish is good. Edge is razor sharp. It was displayed in the store with other Cold Steel items but the other label kinda threw me so I'm not sure whether it is genuine Cold Steel or just franchised from them. I have included an old Boys house axe and Hudson Bay styled axe for size comparison. The weight of the new axe falls between the house axe and the Hudson Bay. I figured it would be OK for light general splitting and kindling duties! The old Hudson Bay was my go to for high and far away backpacking/snow shoeing in younger days. I'm sure the new one would work fine for that also! axnwood3.jpg

2. Mag Craft

Mag Craft

It is a nice looking ax.

ChipsFlyin, metalcuttr and Screwloose like this.
  3. JW IN VA

JW IN VA

Seems ATC was,and may still be,owned by Cold Steel.From an old thread on a knife forum,I also read the Cold Steel version of the Viet Nam tomahawk was a poor imitation of the real ATC model.One was import and the other wasn't.
    Which your model is,I don't know.ATC website only showed a Viet Nam style they make now.Maybe yours was older stock and you have a real good buy.
    Yours has a pretty grain in the handle and a nice looking head.If it has good steel and a proper heat treatment,it looks like you 've got something to hang onto.

metalcuttr and Mag Craft like this.
  4. metalcuttr

metalcuttr

Thanks for the interesting info. Figured for the price I couldn't go wrong!

Mag Craft likes this.