In loving memory of Kenis D. Keathley 6/4/81 - 3/27/22 Loving father, husband, brother, friend and firewood hoarder Rest in peace, Dexterday

Bottom part of stove door gasket not sealing!

Discussion in 'Modern EPA Stoves and Fireplaces' started by FatBoy85, Dec 11, 2017.

1. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I had a runaway fire. With normal splits. Writing to manufacturing company they directed me to the manual of course. I was also given a video to which the stove was loaded up to the top. Splits facing north south as I had done. Upon inspection: nothing out of the ordinary. Until I checked the gasket with a dollar bill. It slid through the top and bottom with far too much ease. Having adjusted the tension on the door lock, a small part of top part of the door gasket is tight but bottom and sides it slides out the same way.

At this point I’m noticing that too much air is getting into the stove. Question is:

Do what now???!

Flatlander Pete likes this.
  2. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

How old is the gasket?

greendohn and Flatlander Pete like this.
  3. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Stove is brand new. 2015.

Tear out gasket another day and put in a new one? I don’t have any problems doing this. Unless I don’t get a good enough chance later.

4. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I just double checked this by doing this. 8484ADA9-80A0-4DE8-B3E5-3A6E31D8C2B8.jpeg A2D8FD7E-C986-4018-8BD6-5A4841E8C34F.jpeg
    A pull on the door hinge side. I’m not going to load my stove up much past this point until I get a new gasket on here.

5. DaveGunter

DaveGunter

The stove was manufactured in 2015 and you just bought it new? I guess the gasket could have gotten compressed.

Flatlander Pete and FatBoy85 like this.
  6. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

That’s my thought. Maybe brittle over waiting for it to be sold? I do feel it to be slightly “crunchy” and it is compressed to some extent. I will likely go get a new one soon and put it on in the next few days. It is shown to warm up a little later in the week enough for me to get this done. I’m headed to the gasket thread for questions if they haven’t asked them yet. Thanks DaveGunter.

7. Thor

Thor

Just curious what is it you do if you have a runaway fire? Probably a good thing to know.

8. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Well I threw on ashes. It worked for the couple times I thought it really ran away on me but that was just a slightly higher temp than what I was used to seeing. This wasn’t meant to be my intention, but i watched it closely then it took off as i added Air to bring cool air into the stove but for a very short interval. After that it just perpetuated. Within about 5 mins i had the stove back down to the high 500’s low to mid 600 ranges. Just too much air is coming into the stove when it shouldn’t be.

9. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I just replaced the gasket about 20
    Mins ago. No pictures but discerning the original material with the new, there’s a bit of difference. The new gasket is more firm and resiliant while the old one has a bit of crunch to it while being a bit more flimsy. Its on the stove now with the newspaper. I’ll light a small fire and let it go out. Have X-mas ships to watch tonight.

Thor likes this.
  10. Babaganoosh

Babaganoosh

It goes against what you think you should do but if it starts to run away open the door all the way. It will stabilize and burn like an open fireplace.

Thor and FatBoy85 like this.
  11. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

That was hot when I did that... I could try this but with the door open that way but daughter being here.. I’m inclined to snuff it out rather than let it fire.

Thor likes this.
  12. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Got Damper?
    3173ACB9-A3C2-410B-9D29-BF05FAF8C563.jpeg

Thor and milleo like this.
  13. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

Thor likes this.
  14. stuckinthemuck

stuckinthemuck

Need?, probably not but I find that it helps.. The door latch on my Buck 81 gets loose every now and then not allowing me to completely close the door. Prior to a damper, I found I had less control over the stove (kind of like a leaky door gasket) than I had when I could close the door tight. It was a progressive problem that would appear slowly until I grabbed a Phillips head screwdriver to tighten the latch. I, and several others here have found that even though the manufacturers and dealers say you don’t need a pipe damper, it helps to control the fire and helps reduce fuel consumption. There’s a big difference in draft that I would get on a 40 degree day vs a -10 day... Trying to control that draft with primary air alone can be a challenge. For me it was an easy $20 to spend and 20 minutes investment in time to install... YMMV..

Mitch Newton, FatBoy85 and Thor like this.
  15. Thor

Thor

This is what I thought,but I wasn't sure. Thank you. Now I know what to do in case it happens.:handshake:

FatBoy85 likes this.
  16. bocefus78

bocefus78

It works. I hit 700 then other day due to wind and opened the door. Went down to 625 in less than 30 seconds.

FatBoy85 and Thor like this.
  17. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I will try this for sure if it happens again. What I noticed is that when I closed the air to “almost nothing” it was reading cooler temps than usual when i would shut her down, the load was full and then i went to bed. I’m wondering if the new gasket worked... the tension upon closing the door is Much better.

Thor likes this.
  18. FatBoy85

FatBoy85

I might be surprised at this, just figuring how to install...either with a piece of pipe like you have shown me there or its just the damper itself.

stuckinthemuck and Thor like this.
  19. Matt Fine

Matt Fine

You can get just the damper or the damper installed in a short section of stove pipe. Which is easier to install will depend on your setup.

With the one in the pipe section, you just insert it into the chain, but to make room, if you don’t have an adjustable section with enough play you may need to cut 6” off one of your pipes.

If you get just the damper, you drill a hole through both sides of a pipe section for the handle/axel. The damper gets held in place inside the pipe with one hand and you push the handle in from the outside through the damper and out the other and then secure the hardware.

You have to decide if it is easier to drill the holes, cut a pipe, or if you are lucky, neither.

stuckinthemuck and FatBoy85 like this.
  20. Matt Fine

Matt Fine

BTW, having a damper does help tame a strong draft on cold days and makes things much more controlable, just don’t forget to open the damper before you open the stove door or it can fill the family room with smoke. Something I have managed to verify on several occasions.

FatBoy85 and Mitch Newton like this.